• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear disc brakes

Sephrion

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a '94 with the 8.25 rear and im wanting to convert it over to rear disc brakes... but i really dont want to buy the parts i'd rather go to a junkyard and get what i need to do it myself... so whats the best way to convert them over? i was thinking of using the brakes off of a ford explorer... but i figured someone on here might know better.

Get the brakes off a rear disc ZJ grand, 96 or so. it's pretty much a bolt on operation, you do need to pull the axles though to get the new backing plate on. Best part is it's all jeep parts :D

http://geocities.com/dcpaschal/mitch.html

Look at how many different model parts those kits are made up of. Geeze, caddy parts, other GM parts, probably a few Ford parts thrown in for variety too not to mention a little custom machining on them, what do you do if they go out of business or drop the line. Thats what always bothered me about them. You can also save money by getting the backing plates from a boneyard too. From a yard you could get the plates, rotors, calipers and most of the hardware.

ASJackman said:
well, the amount of money that you paid doing it yourself could've been saved by getting this kit:
http://www.crawltech.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=881

unless there is something i am missing with the kit.

Wrong, I just paid $40 for the brackets with the e-brake hardware and dust shields, then another $40 for loaded calipers. Add in rotors, let's say $40 a side, Currie brakeline kit to adapt the calipers to the hardlines (part #6013) for $40, Grade 8 bolts to replace the retaining studs $8. That puts me at $208 total. If I had to rebuild the e-brakes and replace the pads, put in say no more than $80 for that, and it's still cheaper.

Also DC4WD sells the TeraFlex disc conversion which is the exact same thing pictured for like $350 shipped last I heard.

kewlkatdady said:
I know you can use the ZJ brake on a D35....Is it the same on the 8.25?
ZJs didnt use the 8.25, so that wont work
altho i thought someone mentioned using a KJ (i know, i know) 8.25 since they have discs
IMO, youd be better off in the long run putting that $200+ towards an 8.8 out of an exploder. hell, you can find the housings for cheap, and if you cant weld on the perches yourself, thats not too exp either. most have an LSD in there too. sell your 8.25 and youve recouped a lot of the cost and have a MUCH better rearend.
-Bennett

er... because of time and money concerns switching axles at this point is a no go.. i plan on wheeling for a couple years basically with stock parts. and when i do do an axle swap im going for D60 front and rear, with disc brakes all around. :laugh3:

Sephrion said:
er... because of time and money concerns switching axles at this point is a no go.. i plan on wheeling for a couple years basically with stock parts. and when i do do an axle swap im going for D60 front and rear, with disc brakes all around. :laugh3:

I hear ya friend. That's why I bought the ZJ brake hardware to bolt to my 8.25. I should have a D44 sitting in my garage in a few weeks too, and when that's ready to go under (different gearing) I can easily pull the ZJ brakes off the 8.25 and bolt them to the XJ 44. I'm a CCB mechanic (certified cheap bastard).

Like Bennett said, go boneyard hunting for an '04 or newer KJ (Liberty). I'm not sure if disks were an option prior to '04's, but they all have rear disks from '04 onward, and they use an 8.25 rear end, so it'll be a bolt-on job. Plus, you have the convenience of factory parts.

My wife's '04 KJ stops like you've hit a brick wall compared to my '94 XJ with just 31's on it. BIG difference in both braking power, and in fade resistance at highway speeds. I wonder if she'd notice if her disks suddenly became drums.... :laugh3:

Back