• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade lift concerns

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at my options to do a 1-1/2 or 2" lift on my 89 laredo 231 TC, Dana 35C axle. Stock everything right now. Other than the actual spacers for the springs, is there ANYTHING else I will need to change? Ujoints, driveshafts, pittman arm, shocks, etc?

I do other metal fab work as well. Is it as simple as just fabricatiing spacers for the top of the front springs and for between the rear axle and the leaf spring (axle is under)? It seems that's what one gets in a kit, but I could probably make them, right? As above, do I need to space anything else or swap anything?

On an 89' a 2" lift shouldn't be a problem with just spacers. Later model XJs get driveline vibes at that height but you should be perfectly fine on the 89. You may just want some longer shocks but they most likely wont be necessary.

-Joe

Just thought of something ... if your doing a block lift in the rear you may need longer ubolts...

-Joe

blocks on stock 15 yr old springs is a bad idea. with only two inches you'll be good to go

If you block the 15 yr ols springs....they MAY wrap when accelerating...

but that is a trial and error issue.

You will not need anything other than U-bolts in doing a spacer lift

OK, I'm new to this lifting biz... What's it mean "wrap"?:dunno:

Would it be better/just as easy to extend the shackles?

Can one get new springs that have the lift amount built in? Can one add-to the leaf spring with another leaf or such to get lift, or is that only for extra load capacity?

What about using air shocks? I know that one's not the best, but you can lift a few inches that way....
:wow:

wrap is when the spring wrap/flex on the axle tube as you accelerate. you may want to check cheapxj and what he has done for lift as for shocks it would be based on the amount of lift. it is recommended that if you lift you should get the shock that support the lift you have obtained.

You can get some MJ shackles for 1/2" of lift in the rear.

"Wrap" refers to axle wrap, which is what happens when the torque at the axle causes the axle to rotate. This twists the springs into an 'S' shape, and allows the pinion u-joint to reach excessive operating angles. Repeated episodes weaken the springs and cause premature sag.

Blocks for lift are a bad idea. For the amount of lift you want, either get a Rancho AAL kit (which may produce a bit MORE than what you want, or get a pair of XJ springs from a junk yard, take them apart, cut the eyes off the ends of the main leaves, and use those as full-length AALs. The extra main leaf alone will lift you between 1-1/4" and 1-1/2", and reinforces the entire spring pack. It's a far better solution than blocks, and the ride does not become unacceptably harsh. I've done it and I think the resulting ride is excellent.

I think I like this leaf adding approach. My current springs are almost straight across. I'm not sure I can see how adding another used leaf will add more than one leaf thickness though. Do I need to bend it? I load up alot, so the added capacity would be good. Do you get a bit more if you add 2??

How much do a pair run from a junk yard, and will any do, or how do I tell a 'bad' set?

The front coils would still be just a spacer??

Will the stock shocks be OK with this?

Thanks!

loboso said:
wrap is when the spring wrap/flex on the axle tube as you accelerate. you may want to check cheapxj and what he has done for lift as for shocks it would be based on the amount of lift. it is recommended that if you lift you should get the shock that support the lift you have obtained.
cheapxj.com? I think it/he's down and out...:(

with a 2 inch lift you will most likely need new shocks. you will be able to lift it this amount without new shocks, but when you flex you will be tugging on the shocks and will eventually ruin the shock. the safest thing to do would be to buy new shocks which are not expensive. you can get 4 shocks for about $130, such as doetch tech and pro-comp.

Back