• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can I lfit 4 -5 inches without drive train modification

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
Can I get away with 4 inch lift with stock drive train. Or do I need to put in SYE eliminator and double cardan drive shaft?. What about with 5 inch lift?

What's the experience here?

maybe, would always be nice to have an sye, but you just might get lucky, some do and some dont. chances are that with 5" you will need one.

lapaul said:
Can I get away with 4 inch lift with stock drive train. Or do I need to put in SYE eliminator and double cardan drive shaft?. What about with 5 inch lift?

What's the experience here?
What year XJ?

Not that knowing that allows a definitive answer. I know someone with an '89 and around 5-1/2" of lift who still runs the stock driveshaft w/o SYE.

I also have a friend who jumped from 3" to 5" in a '95, went for a test ride, and had the drive shaft fall out less than a quarter mile down the road.

4" on the old style transfer case is probably okay. 5" might be okay but IMHO is really borderline.

If you have a '96 or newer you need an SYE with any lift at all.

Eagle said:
What year XJ?

If you have a '96 or newer you need an SYE with any lift at all.

SPOBI why on earth would you even say something like that, sure chances are greater but saying you WILL NEED it is bogus.

Ramsey said:
SPOBI why on earth would you even say something like that, sure chances are greater but saying you WILL NEED it is bogus.
I second that. I have an '00 XJ at 3.5" with no SYE and no vibes. Same with my bro. A friend of mine has vibes at stock height. It's luck of the draw when it comes to SYE or not. Do it and find out. Theres no way for us to know without driving it after the lift is on.

you should be able to feel them, of course just because you cant does not mean that the angles are good. you can get under it and check the angles. if you do, a t-case drop will prob take care of it.

eagle is right, there are people who lift there newer xj's 2 inches and need them, and i dont know anyone who lifts there xj an inch unless its for towing purposes so that is pretty much exlcuded.

just becasue you guys got lucky doesnt mean everyone does. although i have as well becasue i roughly 5 inches of lift and no vibes to on my 89.

just to give you a little example of how much each xj differs. One of my buddies xj is a 93 w/ 4.5" lift and had vibes so bad he needed sye. One of my other buds is running 7" w/ cutouts and 38"s w/ 2" transfer case drop and shims (NO SYE!!) It depends on if the driveshaft is perfectly balanced from factory, wich some are to the extent, but when lifted you can start to feel more vibes with some xjs than with others. Its kind of a test and see situation. But with 4-5" I would not worry about it, just do a 1" t-case drop and shims, youll be fine with a 1990 xj.

I have an 01 with 5" and have no vibes with a 1" transfer case drop, but I'm putting together a hack 'n tap setup running an extra front driveshaft for now. If you plan on modifying your suspension down the line might as well knock it out now and save ya the trouble down the line!!!

i have about 4.5" on my 99 and it is perfectly fine, i just want to stress that you wont neccesarliy need it like a few people have said, even if you have a newer xj

But when something breaks you'll wish you would have done it. I think the 231's on the newer xj are sealed, but on an older one if you lose your rear driveshaft, you'll start losing fluid, sucks if you're out in the middle of nowhere with out the resources for the repair.

I ran no sye at six inches of lift on the highway. The problem was that when wheeling, even with a high clearance yoke, I kept binding up the yoke and ended up breaking a ujoint. So even if it works fine on the highway, if you do anything other than mall crawling, you run the risk of getting left high and dry. Oh, the other thing. I can stop you kind of sudden when you break the front ujoint and dont have a safety loop.

That is why I developed the low budget SYE for the earlier NP231 cases.

whats a safety loop, just something to catch your shaft or what

Jeepin_rebel said:
It will help keep it from eating your oil pan...among other things.
How you figure they don't get longer when they fall out, what can happen is that it will drop down and sometimes act as a poll volt, launching the rear of the jeep into the air

Damn FullSizeXJ you spell about as good as I do. "Pole vault" Sorry, I just got a kick out of the spelling.

And for the previous question, yes it is a strap that goes under the front of the driveshaft used on drag racing cars to prevent the shaft from hitting the pavement when you bust the front joint. At speed, it can be quite a ride.

Does anyone have a picture of a "safety loop"? I've never heard of it. Do you put one on the front and another on the rear driveshaft?

Robert

Back