• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Control Arms?

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of building some control arms. I need to know what size DOM tubing to use? I'm going to use Johnny Joints on the frame end and Daystar Polyflex joints on the axle end. These will be short arms. Thanks Juice

Are you going to put a bend in them like Rusty's or weld towards the bottom of the front bushing like RE's?Either way I'd say 1-1/2"x.120" minimum.Id also ditch the poly for rubber bushings!

4" Schedule 40.

Hasta

-jb

RCP Phx said:
Are you going to put a bend in them like Rusty's or weld towards the bottom of the front bushing like RE's?Either way I'd say 1-1/2"x.120" minimum.Id also ditch the poly for rubber bushings!

I was about to bail until I read PHXs recommendation. NO WAY! DONT USE 1.5" x .120 wall for control arms!!!!!! It's no where near beefy enough to take a serious hit, and if you bend it it's worse. My first set of control arms were 1.5 x .120 with 1.75 x .120 outside, I taco'd them the first time out.

I can't recommend anything less than 1.5" x .250" wall DOM. .120 is for rollcages not control arms. :)

-jb

thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I'll bend them or not. I might leave them straight and trim the shock mount flush with the BPE. Juice

just kinda wondering why youre set on a short arm setup? youre at 6.5" right, so your angles are probably pretty severe. seems like you know enough about what youre doing that you could just fab up some long arms
-Bennett

Back