• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can SEE! I can SEE!

DenLip

NAXJA Forum User
Whoopie!

I finally ordered a pair of Hella Vision Plus headlights from Susquehanna Motorsports the other day. After having an '01 Jetta, and the '03 PT
Cruiser... both equipped with factory Hella lighting... I just couldn't stand
the XJ's Wagner Britelites any longer...

The Vision Plus is, of course, the poor-bastard-brother to the Hella
E-codes... but they're DOT-approved, and I just didn't want to mess
with the hassles of ever being discovered. I also have the standard
60/55w H4 bulbs in them.

I put them in after work yesterday... then waited for darkness. Overall,
there's not a lot MORE light than I had with the factory headlights... but
it's MUCH more controlled, a nice and even pattern, and has the nice
sharp cutoff that I've gotten used to with my "other cars". I need to tweak
the adjustment upwards just a hair, they're right on the lowest fringe of
the specs in the shop manual.

All in all, I'm happy with my little upgrade. And $80 for the pair, with bulbs,
isn't a terribly high price. Heck, one headlight casing for my Stratus was
$200......

Den

just wait till you do the voltage upgrade, then you will see the light.

2offroad said:
just wait till you do the voltage upgrade, then you will see the light.

Hmph! Rainin' on my parade, are we? ;-)

Mine's a 2000... I thought the voltage thing only affected pre-'97 Jeeps...

"Enlighten" me...

Den

I checked the voltage drop on my 2001 and it's less than 1/2 volt difference between the alternator and the headlight plug. So, my guess is that you're right and your 2000 won't benefit from a relay/harness upgrade. That is, unless there's some difference between the '00s and the '01s that I'm not aware of.

I just put a set of Sylvania Silverstars in one of our TJ's after one light burned out, defensive move on my part to foreststall my son who was eyeing my cibie 7" rounds I'm saving for my TJ. At first look the silverstars do a pretty good job, nice and white, good cutoff, nice pattern. Much better than the stock sealed beam halogens that were in there. Downside is $40 a pair or $20 ea. Wonder how long they will last... 4 silverstars will equal one set of E codes w/bulbs pricewise.
I run E codes my 98 XJ and have been happy with them, need to order another set of xenon bulbs though, repalace them the last time with the stock H4 halogens and they are nowhere near as bright.

dmillion said:
I checked the voltage drop on my 2001 and it's less than 1/2 volt difference between the alternator and the headlight plug. So, my guess is that you're right and your 2000 won't benefit from a relay/harness upgrade. That is, unless there's some difference between the '00s and the '01s that I'm not aware of.

It just depends on the condition of your XJ. On my '96 the headlights are getting something like 11.5v, with 14+v coming from the alternator. I suspect most XJs more than a couple years old are the same way. Even half a volt will make your headlights noticeably brighter...

LOL make/buy a harness and IPF 170/100 or Hella 130/90 bulbs for the E-code lenses... why trouble self over half-steps.

not raining, just trying to help. my '98 was 11.2 volts at the plug. so if you have more than 12.5 volts at the plug then the upgrade wont help. i have the vision plus and silverstar bulbs and upgraded harnness and i love it.

2offroad said:
so if you have more than 12.5 volts at the plug then the upgrade wont help.

It most certainly will...there is 14+ volts coming from the alternator. If you can get that to the headlights, they will be MUCH brighter than they are at 12.5v.

Back