• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just finished RE Super-Ride install. . .

chucknewell

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've been watching this forum for some time and decided on Rubicon Express for my lift. There were some problems and I was just wondering if these issues are similar in other kits too.
The biggest issue was the new U bolts. They were the wrong size; too small to go over the axle tubes. This is a 1998 XJ with a Chrysler 8 1/4" rear. I think that's pretty standard for an XJ. Ended up hammering them on and then bending the ends together just to make it work till tomorrow.

The sway bar disco adapter bolts were too long and hit on the sway bar end links. had to add washers in between the adapters and the sway bar.

Rubicon shocks were recommended "by RE, go figure" and had "some assembly and disassembly required" The cross bars had to be installed for the rear shocks and the lower mount wouldn't fit into the shock until the metal tube insert was pressed out of the rubber bushing. Just seems to me that I shouldn't screw around this much with $140.00 worth of shocks that are "custom made" for my 1998 XJ.

The instruction were fair at best. Obviously written for mechanics by mechanics. Step 6. Disconnect steering linkage at pitman arm.
Done.
However nowhere does is say to reconnect it.

I'm being picky I guess. Just wondered what everyone else thought.

Chuck

so your saying that you dont have enough sense to reconnect something just because it is not written in the instructions. i hope you dont breed. just playin. that does seem to be pretty vague. have you called RE yet, from what i hear they are helpful. sounds like you got some wrong parts.

In regards to the ubolts: did you specify that you got the 8.25? did the sales rep ask? Cause 8.25 and D35 are probably just as common and from the sounds of it you got the D35. Anyways replace them asap cause they're probably all messed up from the pounding and you might get yourself into trouble if you run them.
Shocks? it doesn't sound like you had too much trouble and $140 isn't all that bad for shocks. Anyways overall RE products are really good and you should be happy with them :D
chucknewell said:
Well I've been watching this forum for some time and decided on Rubicon Express for my lift. There were some problems and I was just wondering if these issues are similar in other kits too.
The biggest issue was the new U bolts. They were the wrong size; too small to go over the axle tubes. This is a 1998 XJ with a Chrysler 8 1/4" rear. I think that's pretty standard for an XJ. Ended up hammering them on and then bending the ends together just to make it work till tomorrow.

The sway bar disco adapter bolts were too long and hit on the sway bar end links. had to add washers in between the adapters and the sway bar.

Rubicon shocks were recommended "by RE, go figure" and had "some assembly and disassembly required" The cross bars had to be installed for the rear shocks and the lower mount wouldn't fit into the shock until the metal tube insert was pressed out of the rubber bushing. Just seems to me that I shouldn't screw around this much with $140.00 worth of shocks that are "custom made" for my 1998 XJ.

The instruction were fair at best. Obviously written for mechanics by mechanics. Step 6. Disconnect steering linkage at pitman arm.
Done.
However nowhere does is say to reconnect it.

I'm being picky I guess. Just wondered what everyone else thought.

Chuck

Yup, it's the 3.5". I'll Post Pics ASAP. Probably tomorow. It's late here in CA. I plan to get BFG A/T's tomorrow. Then I'll take som pics.

herreraxto said:
which lift is it the 3.5?
do you have some picture that you can post

The first few hundred feet with no steering was fun! Figured, if I follow the instructions exactly and crash and sue it'll be Chuck's Rubicon Express.
I haven't called RE yet. I really JUST finished, at 7:30 Thursday night. Will call tomorrow.

Ramsey said:
so your saying that you dont have enough sense to reconnect something just because it is not written in the instructions. i hope you dont breed. just playing. that does seem to be pretty vague. have you called RE yet, from what i hear they are helpful. sounds like you got some wrong parts.

I just finished my RE 3.5 lift last week (total lift with 32's= 9")but I switched out the Discos and Track Bar with JKS. My leaf pack U bolts were for the 8.25 and fit perfectly. Like it so far, taking it out this weekend to try it out. Here is a couple of pic.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bartobt

I spoke with Jeff Marks at RE. He did verify a 1998 XJ with 8.25" rear.
But still didn't fit.
I suppose I just expected a Smooooth install. Silly me.
I expect I'll be very happy with the lift. I'm mostly writing in a public forum in hopes that RE will improve the details of the kit for everyone else.
Chuck

Kejtar said:
In regards to the ubolts: did you specify that you got the 8.25? did the sales rep ask? Cause 8.25 and D35 are probably just as common and from the sounds of it you got the D35. Anyways replace them asap cause they're probably all messed up from the pounding and you might get yourself into trouble if you run them.
Shocks? it doesn't sound like you had too much trouble and $140 isn't all that bad for shocks. Anyways overall RE products are really good and you should be happy with them :D

damn,that looks good. does the re 3.5 sits up 4.5" or 5"? i did a 3" and am stuffing the tires too much. i have 265/75/16 that are actual 31.7".
mike

My 3.5 actually measured 6" on stock wheels and tires, 9" on the 32's. I did go with the ZJ front coils for the winch and ARB bumper weight addition later. It's a little stiff but I think with the added weight later it should be ok.

I also just finished the same install. Same problems, different shocks.
The directions are not very complete. If I didn't have some mechanical expereince, it could have been frustrating. For instance torque specs were not provided. So who has a 200 lb/ft torque wrench? how do you use it on the pitman arm? WOW.

Fortunatly I live in the great Pacific NorthWest where they don't use salt in the winter. All the nuts came off with a little help on this 88.

One of the interesting discoveries was during the replacement of the rear brake line. The end that goes onto the axle was held in place with a screw, not the vent tube. No gasket was provided and the hole in the block was too big for the screw.

DId the job in two evenings, back then front. 10 hours, first time doing a lift kit or any suspension work other then shock replacement. Biggest time sink was getting things aligned to go back in and removing/replacing the front springs. Thought RE should include sequence details in the instructions.

Installed the front of the LCA's first and used putty knives to slide the rear into the support. Well this is probably really boring to you guys. I enjoyed the work and challenges. Too bad it wasn't my rig! I got wheels and tires for my DD in exchange.

sjx40250 said:
I also just finished the same install. Same problems, different shocks.
The directions are not very complete. If I didn't have some mechanical expereince, it could have been frustrating. For instance torque specs were not provided. So who has a 200 lb/ft torque wrench? how do you use it on the pitman arm? WOW.

Fortunatly I live in the great Pacific NorthWest where they don't use salt in the winter. All the nuts came off with a little help on this 88.

One of the interesting discoveries was during the replacement of the rear brake line. The end that goes onto the axle was held in place with a screw, not the vent tube. No gasket was provided and the hole in the block was too big for the screw.

DId the job in two evenings, back then front. 10 hours, first time doing a lift kit or any suspension work other then shock replacement. Biggest time sink was getting things aligned to go back in and removing/replacing the front springs. Thought RE should include sequence details in the instructions.

Installed the front of the LCA's first and used putty knives to slide the rear into the support. Well this is probably really boring to you guys. I enjoyed the work and challenges. Too bad it wasn't my rig! I got wheels and tires for my DD in exchange.

I could only dream... :sure: 10hrs.... for mine more like 10 days just for the rear... :doh: The front was done in two days.

I too had to figure out the barpin for the shocks, thanx to the guys here for showing me all I had to do was taper the end of one side. :worship:

for LCA's i bolted the rear one first then the front. Did not encounter problems with doing them this way.

Drop Pitman, couldn't figure out how to remove it, so I diconnected the passenger side UCA to fit the coil in.

Only real problem I encountered was my original coils were in two peices. :wow:

I too got the wrong U-Bolts for my axle and the supplier I got the lift from stepped up and paid for another set to be made at my local spring shop.

chucknewell said:
I suppose I just expected a Smooooth install.

Listen to me.

There is no such thing as a smooth install. Ever. No matter how small the project.

Your disappointment will be proportional to your expectations.

My wife still triples any amount of time I tell her for a Jeep project, and I've changed out my junk about a hundred times.

Nay

I put the cross bars into the shocks a different way (had a bench vice). I used two sockets to press the bushing out, one a little bigger than the bushing that the bushing could slide into and one to push the bushing out of the shock. One on one side of the bushing one on the other squeeze it in the vice to press out the bushing. Now squeeze the bushing in the vice to make it oval and the cross bar slips in to get it started. The press it in the rest of the way with the appropriate size socket. With the cross bar in the bushing press the bushing back into the shock with the sockets again. No grinding, no pounding. A bit of lube sprayed on really helps too. There are many ways to do it, what ever works for you is always best.

Chuck

XJ91 said:
I could only dream... :sure: 10hrs.... for mine more like 10 days just for the rear... :doh: The front was done in two days.

I too had to figure out the barpin for the shocks, thanx to the guys here for showing me all I had to do was taper the end of one side. :worship:

for LCA's i bolted the rear one first then the front. Did not encounter problems with doing them this way.

Drop Pitman, couldn't figure out how to remove it, so I diconnected the passenger side UCA to fit the coil in.

Only real problem I encountered was my original coils were in two peices. :wow:

I too got the wrong U-Bolts for my axle and the supplier I got the lift from stepped up and paid for another set to be made at my local spring shop.

I disagree, partly. I don't consider problems with the vehicle like rusted bolts or bent parts that don't line up as being a "problem" with the install. Those sort of things always happen. But, problems with the kit was what I was referring to.

Chuck

Nay said:
Listen to me.

There is no such thing as a smooth install. Ever. No matter how small the project.

Your disappointment will be proportional to your expectations.

I installed the same lift about a week ago. I had the same problem with the bottom of the Rancho shocks. But my biggest problem by far was getting the rear leafs bolted back in - I could get one bolt easy but had tough time getting the second one in. All in all it was not too bad though. :clap:

Yea, I put the front bolts in first and then had to loosen up the top shackle bolts quite a bit and push the shackles about as far forward as they would go. Then the rear leaf spring bolt went in OK. Once it's all back together and on the ground the shackles are about vertical again Kudos to RE on spring length.

Chuck

Jeep said:
. . . But my biggest problem by far was getting the rear leafs bolted back in - I could get one bolt easy but had tough time getting the second one in. All in all it was not too bad though. :clap:

Yeah, I did what chucknewell did on both the shocks and rear leafs. worked out well.

Didn't have a spring compressor for the fronts so I learned that I needed to remove the LCA to get the axle down far enough for removal and install. Wanted to try the one side at-a-time approach, but didn't look like it would work without disco the brake lines.

herreraxto said:
which lift is it the 3.5?
do you have some picture that you can post

Yes the 3.5"

Pic

CRW_4909.jpg

No offense to your ride there, looks great, but what is it about that pic that makes it look like a toy car? Weird

Did my buddies 3.5 RE and they forgot to include any instructions. No big deal, we got er done in 6 hrs anyway.

Back