• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the heck is wrong with my XJ's transmission?

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Coming home today, everything was great, until I stopped about 200 from my place (figures). I was sitting at a light and I was about to turn right and I pushed on the gas and it sounded louder but nothing happened. So I put it back in neutral, then put it back in drive (I have an 97 4dr auto) and tried to press the gas. Still, it didn't move forward, just reved. Then I put it down into 1/2 gear and it went fine.

What gives? There wasn't any sounds or anything before it happened, it just happened.

Thanks,

Chris

How's the fluid level? Always check for the obvious first.

He's talking about the transmission fluid. If there is not enough fluid, the tourque converter will not load up.

You are running in limp home mode...meaning that the transsmission computer is either not getting power or is not talking to the transmission.
You have a manual now.
1/2 = 1st gear
3 = 3rd
4 = 4th
you no longer have a lockup converter.
sustained use in this condition will lead to higher than normal operating temperatures. this will bake the fliud eventually.

check in this order
Fliud level.
Transmission computer fuse. (fuse box.)
Transmission computer fusible link (under passenger side dash (at least on my 88 and 94 models))
Do not let anyone sell you a new transmission or rebuild this one I have 206k and 180k on my 2 XJs with the original trannsmissions changed the fluid every 50k. I rag the snot out of them both.

Back