• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decoding Tags and Stickers

Black & Tan

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching the web and this site and can't find the answer...is there a website that can decode the info on the stamped metal plate from within the engine bay and also the sticker from the door jam. The vehicle in question is a 97 Cherokee Sport...

thanks!

Thanks Ivan, but it's not the VIN plate, I've already checked on that (I did not find a great deal of info, however). What I'm referring to is a stamped metal plate that is in the top right corner of the engine compartment. There are 5 lines of information, varying combinations of letters and numbers. On my old 68 Mustang, the numbers decoded to color, rear axle, body style, engine, etc.

The second sticker is inside the door and there are 6 categories on it: VIN, Type, Single/Dual, MDH, Paint, Trim. Each has information afterwards.

Somewhere there should be a key to decode this information....

All that info and more can be gotten on a build sheet. Go to any Chrysler dealer and ask for a VIN report or build sheet. They'll print it out for free. I just did one on my 96 a couple months ago and it told me all kinds of stuff, even the first dealership it was sold at.

I'll give the dealer a shot. I'm still curious about those 2 tags, though. For some unknown reason I can't explain, I'm really curious about what they say....

Black & Tan said:
Thanks Ivan, but it's not the VIN plate, I've already checked on that (I did not find a great deal of info, however). What I'm referring to is a stamped metal plate that is in the top right corner of the engine compartment. There are 5 lines of information, varying combinations of letters and numbers. On my old 68 Mustang, the numbers decoded to color, rear axle, body style, engine, etc.

The second sticker is inside the door and there are 6 categories on it: VIN, Type, Single/Dual, MDH, Paint, Trim. Each has information afterwards.

Somewhere there should be a key to decode this information....

looking for something specific?
Decoding the vin of your cherokee will provide some basic info like decoding a mustang vin. I'm not aware of a door tag key but the dealer build sheet sounds like a great way to go. The stamped plate isn't all that informative as I recall but should have among other things your vin and your color paint/trim codes which will be one or two 3 digit alpha numeric codes in the format y1b x1b or something like that.
generic chrysler stamped plate format
2001chry_codes.gif

Here is my favorite vin decoder http://jeep.avtograd.ru/VIN/vin_en.asp

Back