• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman Arm Play

BrokenXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, Im dealing with little wobble. Everything is tight on the steering because I just replaced all of the tie-rod ends and drag-link. What are the syntoms of a failed pitman arm. This is where I am getting some movement when shaking the wheels.

The pitman arm itself will never fail. You are getting play either in the drag link to pitman arm joint, or the pitman shaft of the steering box is moving back and forth. A tiny bit of shaft movement is acceptable. Considerable movement means you need a new steering box.

I have found that the D30 axle is very sensitive to toe-in setting. If it is too much, it quickly responds with death wobble. Many other things can cause it, however, this is the one that many folks run into after installing a lift.

Jackhill442 said:
The pitman arm itself will never fail. You are getting play either in the drag link to pitman arm joint, or the pitman shaft of the steering box is moving back and forth. A tiny bit of shaft movement is acceptable. Considerable movement means you need a new steering box.
What he said.

The pitman arm itself has no moving parts. One end is a big hole to fit over the steering box shaft, the other end is a small hole to accept the tie rod end on the drag link. I'd look at that first, since it's easily replaced. If there's no play there, check lateral play on the steering box shaft. If you find that's the culprit, it's time for a new box. Cranking down on the over-center lash adjustment will NOT remove lateral play at the sector shaft.

Back