• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spool for a 35

LT1XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Does anyone make a spool for a 35. Mini or Full. 87 MJ would be non c clip, right? I am just looking for something to get me by and don't want to weld the spiders, but want to stay cheap.
Thanks,
Dustin

i'm nearly certain such a thing doesn't exist, for obvious reasons. if you're cheap enough to not get rid of the D35, then you're cheap enough to just weld it up. if you touch anything even resembling off-road with tires bigger than 28 inches you will be changing shafts all day long.

BrettM said:
i'm nearly certain such a thing doesn't exist, for obvious reasons. if you're cheap enough to not get rid of the D35, then you're cheap enough to just weld it up. if you touch anything even resembling off-road with tires bigger than 28 inches you will be changing shafts all day long.
and please, please tell me this isn't going in a rig with an LT1, like you screenname would lead me to believe

BrettM said:
Brett, Lets get a couple of things strait. You are in California, LT1xj is in Florida!! You think there might be a little difference in the terrain and stress on the axle shafts off road??

I also agree that I do not believe I have seen a spool available for a D35 non c-clip (yes, I believe that is correct for a 87), but I have seen many jeeps of all different shapes and sizes with 33's and 35's on D35's (locked, welded, open, etc) and they run just fine off and on the road. Yes there will be added stress and I would not want to be off road without spare shafts, but as long as you are calm on the right pedal then you should be able to make your stock shafts last for some time.

2xtreme said:
Brett, Lets get a couple of things strait. You are in California, LT1xj is in Florida!! You think there might be a little difference in the terrain and stress on the axle shafts off road??

QUOTE]

That dosent mean that a spooled D35 is going to hold up to a LT1 V8.

Re: Spool for a 35 - Trac-lok

a trac-loc will greatly improve over an open rear in a XJ - no matter what engine.
Used ones are out there for D35's - check Ebay or JU classifieds

Man, I didn't think such a simple question would get such a heated response.
If you notice My user name is LT1 XJ, which would lead one to believe that the LT1 is in an XJ not the MJ in question. ANd the XJ currently has a 44 in the rear. Anyways, I am not looking to run the spool forever, just temporary, but I would prefer not to weld up the spiders. With vitually no weight over the rear axle, I can't see breakage being that much of an issue. And, come on, it is Florida. The only rocks we have are the ones in peoples driveways. It is pretty much either sand or mud. Not to mention all its got is 31's and a 4 banger. I figured with the spool, it is easy to undo, I can pull it and throw the open carrier back in fairly quick.
I have a 9" that will be going in, I am just looking to get something in it until i get it ready. After the nine inch, the LT1 out of my xj goes into the MJ because I just pulled it out ofthe XJ to drop in the LS1. So I guess I need a new screen name. Maybe "4banger MJ and yes I want a Spool", then maybe "LT1 MJ and yes I still want a spool". :)
Dustin

Last edited:
There is no spool or mini-spool available for the D35. I ran 35" boggers on my welded D35 for awhile, but it eventually blew out the spider gears after about 2 years. Never broke a shaft though.

That is pretty much what I have seen. More problems with spiders than anything, so I figured drop a spool in it for a few months to get me by.
Curious why nobody makes one, I can imagine that ther is not much demand. But there are a lot of 35's out there, while most people that wheel are not going to keep them forever, the same can said about a lot of other axles out there that spools are available for. JB WELD here I come.
Just kidding, maybe I will have to get that 9" done sooner rather than later.
Dustin

Brett,
I guess I wanted to be able to pull the spool if it becomes a problem. I would just feel a little more comfortable with something more solid than welded spiders. I know a good welder can make it strong, but i don't know anyone that I would have faith in other than myself and all I have is a mig and would prefer to use an stick/tig. Maybe the solution is to take the money I would spend on a spool and put it towards another welder. I just figured I could pick up a mini spool, if there was one, and call it done. Even moreso, I was really just curious if there actually was a spool made for a 35, I can understand that there are reasons that there wouldn't be, but I am sure a few people would buy em.
Thanks for the Replies
Dustin

Back