• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for Tires.

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. I need new tires and was wondering what would be a good replacement. I want an AT tire but am not sure if I should get a LT or Pmetric size tire. How much would an LT Tire hurt my ride quality?

If you're not lifted and just a casual off roader like myself, I'd suggest you go with a premuim brand (such as Toyo) stock sized LT tire if you load heavy, passenger grade if you don't. I'm not sure you should even go with an AT tread (being concerned about ride quality), but it depends on your local conditions I guess. My recently acquired XJ has some nearly new off-brand (Dean?) knobby looking AT tires. They ride okay, but they are noisy, and when they wear out I'll throw on some Toyo Open Country treads. Smooth and quiet and long wearing, and when I go on snow outings with my buds they work just fine. They probably wouldn't do well in mud but but I do mainly dry dirt & light rock and avoid mud.

I'll second Dave - he seems to have the right plan.

I run the Toyo Open Country A/T on my '92, which sees mostly on-road (mix of local and highway use), and some light off-road activity. I haven't tried much mud yet either (lot of trouble to get off, I've heard), but other than that, they seem to handle fine on the trail. They've got about 30,000 on them, and from the looks of them they've got about that much tread still left. I'm pleased with them, and would seriously consider getting them again.

HTH,

Rob

skipc said:
What size / how big can you go with a stock XJ and these? I think mine has 225/75R15 on it now.

You can put one size up, which is 235/75/15, on a stock XJ. I don't think you need to consider LT tires because the stock XJ suspension can't handle all that much load anyway.

Nay

I'm running Big O Tires' own-brand Bigfoot A/Ts at the recommendation of a friend and am extremely happy with them. After 10,000 miles I have no appreciable tire wear on them, they're much quieter and more communicative on-road than the Goodyear Wranglers that they replaced, and have performed surprisingly well for a relatively non-aggressive tread pattern off-road. The size I'm using is 225/75R16.

Off-road conditions have been light (6") snow, sand, and mud. I don't do heavy rockcrawling (I'm stock), but in dry, rocky creek beds they're doing fairly well over the lumps. Haven't had one come off the rim yet, even running at 18psi, and the tread seems to do a pretty good job of clearing itself. The best part: Big O offers full road hazard warranty on them, which also includes off-road use. As long as it's not vandalised, they'll replace it. Balances and rotations are also free.

I may go to the M/Ts after this set eventually packs it in, but so far these have served me very well and I'm more than happy to recommend them.

Sam's Club sells Dunlop Radial Rover at's & BFG at ko's that are nice tires and have a good price. The BFG's are 1 of the best at's and worth the extra $$$. I like my 35" mtr's, but you could get a 31x10.50x15 with a small 2" lift or 30x9.50x15 for a near stock dimension. Mtr's are very streetable and quiet and probably the best all around tire you can go with. It's better to go with a tire like that rather than get an off-brand that you will regret later when you do want to do some trails. You really cannot do wrong with a 31x10.50x15 bfg at, dunlop rr, or mtr in that it is very streetable as a dd and you can do easy to moderate trails if you'd like. Also many people even run a 31" tire with up to 4-5" lift.
Troy

Thanks for the input. I went with Dunlop's Radial Rover RVXT. I think they are a new line for Dunlop.I chose this AT tire because it has the severe snow rating. They have a really cool tread pattern that looks like it will do quite well offroad. The guy who sold them didn't know much about them but they look good on Dunlops website. They were a lot cheaper than the Goodyear and Bridgestone tires.

i have the dunlop mud rover and it is a good tire, dunlop is a quality tire and a very fair price. i would also suggest to anyone who is looking cooper discoverer radial. they are great on all terrains and last very long and ride great, not loud at all.

Back