• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pintle vs. disc injector

mike harris

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just about ready to order these new injectors for my 89 4.0 Will there be a noticeable increase in performance while using disc as opposed to pintle?I can get a set of pintle type from 5.0 motor sports(both 19lb.) for 130.00 while the disc type are 50.00 more.Is it going to be worth my money to get the disc type i.y.h.o?They are said to atomize better,but is that going to be worth the extra dough?Fuel economy is not a huge concern as long it stays about the same (give or take a few mpg.)although, I would'nt mind a little extra performance,either.............

I got mine from 5-0 motorsports- got the pintle, noticed a difference in omph an mpg, but my old injectors were weak an leaky, sooooooo-any good injector is better than one thats bad. :) the better atomization comes from a different type of squirt-instaed of a straight shot, it shoots sideways- more gas surface area....but gezzz, it all burns good.

freakin 5-0 had them at my doorstep-from california to North Georgia, in less than 18 hours. shoot, I cant sleep that fast.

I'll second the quick response from 5-0...of course it took me 2 months to finally get them installed but it's a happy XJ now with a driver who doesn't have to look at 2 leaky injector bodies...haven't had a chance to see what kind of mileage gains I may have but as I also replaced a thrice-cracked manifold I expect to see some changes. Sorry I can't help with the pintle vs disc question though.

How long to injectors last, my 98 has bout 203,000 mi on it, they have been cleaned a few regularly with both 'in tank' cleaners [techron] and the bottle type 3M kit that attaches to the fuel rail with it's own supply of cleaner/fuel. Next to pulling them out and bench fixturing there is really nothing else to be done to them. The other question is which injectors for my 98 4.0L, I know very little about them, disc and pintle type injectors were a new term with referencing injectors, disc= brakes, pintle = trailer towing :D
Love these forums....

Mike!

I got the disc-type Bosch "Orange Tops" from Five-O Motorsports. I wish I could say that they provided a huge jump in fuel economy or performance over stock, but I can't. Unfortunately I installed the injectors at about the same time I installed a high-flow intake, so I couldn't tell you what accounts for what anyway. I did a lot of research on the internet, and the pintle style injectors have a lot of fans, but mainly in the context of high-performance, high-flow injectors for race engines. Many believe that disk-style injectors perform a little more efficiently in variable street applications/driving conditions. The word about whether either type is less susceptible to clogging is mixed. Go figure. :rolleyes:

My experience has been that they run very smoothly, and I've yet to have any problem with them at whatsoever. I've had no leaks and they're quieter than the stock injectors. I'd buy them again, but then I've been partial to Bosch products since my VW days. I'd go with the Orange tops if I were you, unless there's something else you want to do with the $28 really bad. And if you do go with the pintle injectors, you can go to sleep at night knowing you didn't give up a whole lot.

Cheers/
revolver.

RichP said:
How long to injectors last, my 98 has bout 203,000 mi on it, they have been cleaned a few regularly with both 'in tank' cleaners [techron] and the bottle type 3M kit that attaches to the fuel rail with it's own supply of cleaner/fuel. Next to pulling them out and bench fixturing there is really nothing else to be done to them. The other question is which injectors for my 98 4.0L, I know very little about them, disc and pintle type injectors were a new term with referencing injectors, disc= brakes, pintle = trailer towing :D
Love these forums....

Rich, yours will probably clog long before they ever leak- its the older style, earlier year ones that crack with age between the plastic and metal.- my XJs went to leakin at 250,000- the MJs at 190,000(both 89s). neither were clogged in the injector, but both intakes were almost completely blocked with carbon. Thats where the pintle/disc comes in- one squirts straight down, which helps the carbon stick to the sides since it aint gettin a load of gas squirted on it every pulse- the other squirts sideways in a cone spray pattern-it keeps the carbon monster somewhat at bay, and makes the gas flow out instead of straight down in a squirt. Better atomization. Minimal short term results.

Back