• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Urgent - What is this line made of?

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
I spent the better part of the day working to swap my cracked exhaust manifold for a new one. Along the way, we managed to kink the fuel line running up to the rail - we're talking a full 90* or slightly better bend in the line before realizing what happened. There are quick disconnects at the fuel rail and near the firewall, but the kinked part in question is under shrink wrap and in this photo is also protected by a rubber hose.

Is the underlying line metal? If so, I need to replace it since I can't see that bending and not cracking. If it's plastic, it's pretty durable since it didn't crush by hand when squeezed...but I really want to know what it is before deciding whether replacement is urgent or simply immediate.

This is on a 96 XJ w/4.0L

manifold.jpg

Thanks,
Jim

On my 95 the line is some kind of semi-flexible plastic. It doesn't look like something that can be mended, and it must be shrunk over the fittings at the ends, or perhaps softened with heat before assembly. If you really kinked it you'd better check it carefully. It might have survived, but I'd carefully slice the rubber hose off and look carefully. If it's all right, you can put the hose back on and tape it together, but if it cracks, you could have a leak that will sneak out the end of the protective sleeve, who knows where.

I think it is simply the high pressure rubber fuel line for injectors. At least that is what I replaced mine with when I did the swap.

Last edited:
Matthew, there's definitely some shrink-wrappage involved. The rubber line in my photo slides up and down the length of the hose, but it felt like there was something under the shrinkwrap, maybe that's not the case? There are definitely two flares at the upper end near the quick disco and I am pretty sure there were two more at the lower end near the bracket that hold the line to the intake manifold...there were no leaks last night after making the 85 mile run home, but there's going to be that nagging doubt in my mind until I decide for sure whether I actually damaged anything.

Thanks y'all, and thanks for the Copper stuff Tom. That part was a breeze.

Back