• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 gear question

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
So I learned you can use a stock xj44 carrier for 3:73 and lower (numerically) gears and install 4:88s using thick ring gears. If you had a full case locker, say a Detroit, that was for 3:73 gears and lower, could you also use the thick 4:88s?
Logically it would seem ok, just wondering if there is anything I'm missing.

I have the thick 4.88 on a stock trac-loc (which comes in the TJ's) and it works fine. The thick gears are $50 more than the standards - so unless you have the carier already it might not be worth the trouble.

Stupid question time; what's the deal with a thick gear? The reason that I ask is because I've got a D44 XJ rear end that I'm getting ready to order parts for. I'm going to use a Detroit Locker in it. Do I need a special gear set? I'll probably order through either drivetrain.com or Randy's, so if I just place an order for gears and a locker am I going to be getting the right thing?

Robert

XJWheelie said:
Stupid question time; what's the deal with a thick gear? The reason that I ask is because I've got a D44 XJ rear end that I'm getting ready to order parts for. I'm going to use a Detroit Locker in it. Do I need a special gear set? I'll probably order through either drivetrain.com or Randy's, so if I just place an order for gears and a locker am I going to be getting the right thing?

Robert

The thick gears are just a gear set option for some differentials. It alows you to use the standard carrier that is in most Differentials. If you get yours from Randy or drivetrain.com, they will make sure your Detroit and gears will match.

Usually some mess with the thick gears beacuse they have a locker that is of the lower numerical gear sets and they don't want to buy another locker or carrier.

Back