• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I melt my windshield? Or is it dirty?

BoiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, maybe I'm stupid... but I did the following:

I bought some 280z hood vents for my XJ. (better cooling)
I cut holes in my hood.
Hot metal dust hit my windshield.
Now my windshield is either melted (pock marks) or dirty.

If it's just dirt, I can't get it off. I can take a razor and scrape ONE pock mark over and over and it won't budge.

So, did I melt my windshield? Or what?

Join the club

My windows are rusting - all but one... the one I just broke when I endoed the jeep onto its lid :D Its still "new" from the junkyard!

I have all kinds of weld spatter and grinder spray all over mine - the best you can do is scrap as much off as possible and scrub the rest... I have not tried using rain-X on the glass to see if it cuts down on the water to metal contact - (too lazy)

Next time if you care you can spray PAM cooking spray or other heavy grease on the glass so you don't get cratering... I usually find that too messy and just use some cardboard or a couble of towels... Try to be aware as they do catch fire :rolleyes:

Have fun...

Matt

PS - whats even worse is the side door to the house also has that crap all over the window - oops :(

you may have melted the outer layer of laminate... the eastwood company has glass polishing kits that you attatch to a buffing wheel and it can remove some real stubborn pitting if you do it right... maybe use the side glass as a guinea pig? i dont think it will do much for the side of the house though.. good luck explaining it to the ole' lady..

There are glass polishing kits available at the auto stores or on the web. I used one on my old Honda and it worked great. Old timers used jeweler's rouge.

yep, you got it.....

even if you get all the little weld boogers out, the pits are still WAY too deep to be able to buff them out....

have fun replacing windshield wiper blades every month......

Listen boise, it happens to the best of us, I found out while making a rear tire carrier on my 95 about 7 years ago, got that spatter all over the rear glass.

if it turns out that the damage is so great you want to replace the glass, do it yourself....

I've found that in a lot of cases, the metal around the windshield gets rust damage, that most glass shops would probably dismiss.....

it would be your golden opportunity to treat that if you have the same thing.....replacing windshields is not hard.

try using a household cleaner called "BON-AMI"
its a mild abrasive, that a detailer friend of mine said (and has used) works well for polishing pocked/pitted windshields/auto glass

worth a try

CaptTrev

BoiseXJ

I was watching the guys who do the show "crank and chrome", it use to be called "shade tree mechanic" and "two guys garage".

On one of those shows they went into wiper maintenance, you know pushing somebody's wiper blades, and they talked about cleaning your window. They made the statement that Trico uses Bar Keeper's Friend to clean the windows before the conduct testing.

Evidently, that the only product this wiper company found that cleaned without scartching the glass. It comes in a gold/yellow container and should be able to find it at a hardware store or grocery store.

I never tried it but seems like you have nothing to lose by using it.

Martin

Back