• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spring choice: waggy vs. s-10

k-bay xj

NAXJA Member #1356
Quick question: what springs rear springs are better to stack under the rear main of an XJ, full size waggy leaves, or s-10 blazer leaves? I have access to both for free, so cost isn't the issue. I have seen a lot mentioned on s-10 and dakota leaves for rear lifts, but never waggy leaves. I measured the waggy's and they are 2 1/2 in. wide, so I was thinking that they might work. Anybody have any thoughts or experience on this?
Thanks,
Matt

it's really hard to say, and often this is a guess and check sort of thing, especially since you didn't say how much lift you want.

some principles to help you:

lots of thin leafs are better than a few thick ones.
the more arch and length of an individual leaf the more lift it will provide (duh)
stagger the lengths well

the waggy ones will pop it up alot but we only used one or two to boost a pack on my friends xj that already had a 4.5 lift (via rough country AAL and block) up to about 6.5"...it still flexes very well.

Right now I am sitting at 4.5 in the front and 0 in the back. I took the explorer pro crap 3" front lift off of my '91 and put it on my '95 with front spacers. I would just take the rear too, and throw in a longer shackle, but since the 3" add-a-leaf that the pro crap came with was closer to 1.5" I have decided to just build my own pack using some s-10/dakota or waggy leafs.
I was just trying to figure out if the waggy's would work or not. It (the waggy) is sitting on 33's right now, so I figured that those leafs were pretty stout, vice a stock (low) s-10.
Either way I am mad at myself that I didn't do some research before I bought that pro crap suspension lift. And since I found NAXJA (unfortunately after I wasted $500 on that junk lift) I realised that you can 'build' a suspension lift that is just as good as one that comes in a big box on a UPS truck.
Sorry for going off on a rant there, just kick myself in the ass every now and then for being too eager for a lift and not researching like I know I should.
Again, thanks for any thoughts on this.

if it were me I'd probably start off with the longest leaf I could fit from the waggy pack and then put s-10 pack on minus its main leaf...let me know what you wind up with.

Back