• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a trick for getting the top half of the rear main seal to come out?

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to replace the rear main seal in my 91 4.0 and can't get the top half of the rear main seal to move. Do any of you NAXJA guys know of a good way to get one to come out if it doesn't want to? Any and all help is appreciated and welcome.

Thanks

Daryl.

what he said!!
once it starts to come out it gets easier. Once you get it started grab the end with pliers and work it out. Be careful with the punch in there.

It helps to loosen the other main bearing caps, and it might help to have someone turn the crank by hand but that shouldn't be necessary. If you get it started with a (brass) punch but it just doesn't want to come out, you can take a 4 to 6 inch length of small brazing rod (like about 1/8") and use that like a flexible punch to chase the seal around the groove.

This may sound weird, but try hitting it from the opposite side. I worked on mine for a while one the pass. side and then decided to hit the driver side and it came right out.

Abugarcia said:
This may sound weird, but try hitting it from the opposite side. I worked on mine for a while one the pass. side and then decided to hit the driver side and it came right out.
Been there, tried that.

MACH90XJ said:
" BRASS " punch,Don't want to mess up any metal down there.Been there done that type experience.

Eagle said:
It helps to loosen the other main bearing caps, and it might help to have someone turn the crank by hand but that shouldn't be necessary. If you get it started with a (brass) punch but it just doesn't want to come out, you can take a 4 to 6 inch length of small brazing rod (like about 1/8") and use that like a flexible punch to chase the seal around the groove.
I like the sound of a brass punch (If it's not too late!) And thanks for the idea of the brazing rod. I had given some thought to loosening the other caps, but haven't gone there yet. We'll see how tomorrow goes with a better punch.

Thanks again to all, and if there is anyone else with an idea, it's not out yet. So go ahead and chime in. Glad it's not a daily driver for me.

Daryl

in my garage I keep a cleaning rod for a russian sks rifle that is about a foot long and the right size to put a lot of pressure on the seal...a 3 pound hammer convinces it well....once its started well I use needlenose pliers to pull it out or lock small vice grips on the stubborn ones and use a screw driver or something against the vice grips to pry it out...its got a metal core and I've never broken one off yet...knock on wood....make sure you dont break off the little lip on the block that seperates the seal from the slinger(?)...you'll see.

I loosened the main bearing caps, but to no avail. The biggest problem that I was having was that with a fairly short punch I couldn't get a hammer swing of much force on the punch. I finally took a 3/8 round brass stock that was about 7 inches long, ground it down to 1/8 for about the first 1/2 inch. that gave me a brass punch that I could get a swing to with the three pound hammer. So in other words it's out and now ready for the new seal. Glad I have some more time to get it back together before XJfest Colo.

Thanks again to all who gave me help and advice.

Daryl

Back