• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding a D30?

bbaker80

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for cheap temporary traction until I can afford a new front axle. I don't drive my Jeep anymore, and I'm considering just welding the diff instead of wasting money on a locker for an axle that I'm planning on upgrading or replacing in the winter. With 3.55 gears and only 32" MTR's I would think that I'd be ok as far as breaking parts, as long as I run 297/760 shafts and tack the caps as mentioned in another thread (I haven't done that before, but it makes sense). Any thoughts?

do a search I was getting ready to do it but then got a locker for cheap. What year XJ do you have an axle disco if you don't I would say dont do it

DON'T DO IT if you don't have a disconnect axle. It won't let the tires turn at different speeds, even in 2wd.

if you have a disconnect axle (the only 297/760 shafts are '95 YJ shafts) then go for it, and rig up your disconnect to have manual control. I have a friend with the disco axle and his front lockright doesn't unlock, so it's the same as if it were welded. he ran the vacuum lines for the disco into the cab so he can disconnect it at any time to release steering bind.

It's non disco. I'm not sure what you mean Beezil. I would guess you mean the carrier is going to break, but I wouldn't think that it would be much different from a lunchbox locker. It dosen't see pavement except for the drive from Red Ridge Campground to Paragon, so I wouldn't think that I'd be putting excessive stress on it on the street.

I have a used d30 lockrite I want to get rid of. I bought it and never used it. pm or email me for details if your interested.

Last edited:
bbaker80 said:
It's non disco. I'm not sure what you mean Beezil. I would guess you mean the carrier is going to break, but I wouldn't think that it would be much different from a lunchbox locker. It dosen't see pavement except for the drive from Red Ridge Campground to Paragon, so I wouldn't think that I'd be putting excessive stress on it on the street.

Not meaning to be harsh here, but you obviously don't understand how a locker works. Welding the diff makes it into a spool, where both axles/tires are permanantly locked together. This means that in every turn one of the tires has to slip, or scuff, to compensate for the slightly different distance traveled in a turn by the inside and outside wheel. This both makes steering more difficult as the rig tries to go straight, and it puts near continual stress on the carrier, axles, and axle u-joints.......even when in 2wd.

An automatic locker, on the other hand, releases/unlocks in the turns when not under hard acceleration so there is no tire scuffing and no pushing, so tire wear and handling are neutral, and there is no stress on the axle components. In 2wd an auto locker won't/can't lock up, and so is virtually invisible with no effects on components or handling.

Lunchbox lockers are cheap, even for the short haul, and can always be sold to a friend later to recover much of the initial cost. Personally, I just don't see welding a front diff as a viable option. The increased potential for breakage easily nullifies the cost savings of a few stick of welding rod.

Back