• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

super rails or super square rails

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
i like the look of aj's rock rails and the price, i just dont know which is better. is square or round better. thanks for the replies. i have searched some, but would like some more input

I just ordered a set of super round rails. I won't have them for a while but I asked AJ the same question before I ordered them. You'll find is customer service is incredible. He answered a million questions that I had via e-mail before I ordered them. If you write him, he'll take care of you.
His answer to this question was that the square tubing is inherantly (sp) stronger than the round but that both are going to be more than adequate. He mentioned that he prefers the look of the round outer tube and so I decided to go that route. I also decided (with AJ's council) that the 1/8 wall tubing would be perfect for me rather than the extra weight and cost of the 3/16.
AJ rules. He could have tried to talk me into more expenses than were necessary but he didn't. He cares about his customer.

does anyone else agree the 1/8 will be enough, or should i cough up the extra dough and afford the extra weight of the 3/16

Ramsey said:
does anyone else agree the 1/8 will be enough, or should i cough up the extra dough and afford the extra weight of the 3/16
that depends on what kind of wheeling you do.

I've been to Fordyce and the Rubicon with the rockers I made on my MJ, they have seen some serious rock usage and have scratched plenty but haven't bent at all. they're 2x2 .125 wall (1/8)

coming down on the rails full force, would the 1/8 support without bending or denting. also does anyone know an approximate weight difference between the two.

you really need to e-mail AJ. He knows the answers to all of these questions and he'd have written you back by know and you'd know. He really is the greatest to deal with.
I don't have rocks here in Syracuse so I went with the 1/8 wall. He says they're more than enough.
also remember that thicker and heavier is more money to ship.

Last edited:
you make a good point about the shipping

I have the 3/16 round superrails and these things are beefy I think the UPS tag said 76 pnds they are strong. After getting them on I probaply would have gone with the 1/8.

why would you want the lesser ones. and thanks for the weight, anyone have an approximate for the others.

For my use the 3/16" are almost overkill, they are heavy. I'm sure the 1/8 diameter is a alot lighter other than my summer wheelin trips I dont do alot of crawlin. So why pull the extra weight.

I have really old tomken 2x2 1/8" guards. They haven't bent or dented at all...but the mounting on the sucks a whopper. The ingenious mounting they use has pushed in my rockers, and bent the "frame". I'm cutting it all off soon.
So what I'm saying is 2x2 1/8" is plenty as long as you mount it correctly. 2x4 and 2x5 etc., I would stray to thicker material.

thanks for all the replies i guess i will save the weight and the money.

Anyway you go you getting the best rails in my opinion, between the craftsmanship and customer service AJ cant be beat. Hey AJ when can I get some tube doors?

you can put me down for some of those to

Back