• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel bearing hub assembly removal.....

BajaXJ92

NAXJA Forum User
Decided to replace them in addition to other things while tracking down DW.

I can't get the damn hub assembly out. I even broke the damn gear puller I was using trying to get it out. Fawker didn't move an inch.....

Yes all 3 bolts we're removed as well as the 36mm nut.....

Anything else to try short of heating it cherry and trying again with a puller?

Worst comes to worst I'll hit the local yard and grab the short shaft and entire knuckle......:rolleyes:

Hasta

My first time I just beat on it with a BFH, that was about 10k miles ago and the same assembly is still working fine. I've heard that backing the bolts out and beating on them is easier on the assembly, but hard on the bolts. If you're replacing it anyway, I say BFH the hell out of it.

They can be a bear. Try putting the three bolts back in enough to seat the threads, and tapping(whaling) on their heads. A socket on the head of the bolt will protect it, or another set of bolts is an even better idea.

Fred

If using the slide hammer approach, leave the 36mm nut in place until the hub is loose. If you remove the nut, more than likely the hub will separate and all you'll remove is the outer half, leaving the inner half (which is the half so firmly embedded in the knuckle).

Just a note: Before you put things back together, hit the mating surfaces with a bit of sandpaper and then either oil them or use some anitseize. When you pop an axle on the trail, you will find out why.

I tugged mine. PB Blaster for a couple days prior then a 2 1/2 BFH. It came out. I hit them on both sides, just to shake them loose. They'll come out, they just don't like to.

run to the hardware store and get some longer bolts to thread into the same holes but will stick out 1/2" longer.. use these bolts when you use the BFH.. keep the sacrificial bolts in the tool bag for future use..

Just pulled both mine, I used a chisel (or a pickle fork) to loosen it right at the base.. all along the triangle jus tap tap tappy... Just Taaap it in. It helps to douse the face with pb blast... Let is sit a couple minutes, then tappp it in... just taaaaap it in...

Really, I had a bfh and a large cold chisel. It took some doing, but eventually came off. Once it breaks free just a millimeter, then it will come eaaasy, like a Sunday Morning.

PB Blaster is great for stuff like this, especially if you can hose it down hours or even a day before removal.

I use the method of backing the 3 13mm bolts out about 1/8" at a time, and tapping on them with a socket protecting the bolt head.

I had a stuborn one that I removed by bolting on an old rotor that I had BACKWARDS. This provided a big area to hit with a sledge hammer and more leverage. I had worked for an entire weekend using many of the previously described methods. The rotor on backwards and sledge did the trick in 4 blows. There is just enough room to swing the sledge to hit the back side of the rotor.

Pflumingo said:
Just pulled both mine, I used a chisel (or a pickle fork) to loosen it right at the base.. all along the triangle jus tap tap tappy... Just Taaap it in. It helps to douse the face with pb blast... Let is sit a couple minutes, then tappp it in... just taaaaap it in...

Really, I had a bfh and a large cold chisel. It took some doing, but eventually came off. Once it breaks free just a millimeter, then it will come eaaasy, like a Sunday Morning.
this way has worked for me many times

Back