• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint replacement troubles??

DaveWV

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the ball joints in my '87. I was wondering what kind of troubles I might run into. What special tools will I need? Also what size are the nuts on both the upper and lower joint, metric/english? These are the original joints I'm pretty sure. Will NEED air tools to get them off? Do I need to take the tie rod end off the knuckle? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-----------Dave

Last edited:
They are pressed in, IIRC, so a screw press will be handy. The nuts are primarily retained with the cotter pins, and are there more to supply preload on the joints. I seem to recall them being either 3/4" or 7/8", but I can't swear to that, either. You will also need a large pickle fork to separate the joints. Watch for clearance issues with the nuts inside the knuckles - once you have them loosened, I've found it easier to spin them with your fingers than with a wrench. That's what I've got at the moment...

5-90

You have to pull the hubs out first! That alone is a pain if they haven't been removed lately. Then you have to get the ball joints to break free.

Back