• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 w/ABS need a L/S or locker.....

BMWNUTw/XJ

NAXJA Forum User
.....cause I hate it that it's a one legger. How the hell would you drive one of these with an open rear axle?

So what should I do, it's a 2001 with 35K and she spins the back right in the rain, I know I need a L/S or after reading some threads maybe a locker. This truck will spend 95% of the time on the street as a commuter car and maybe a tow vehicle for my M3 on an aluminum trailer.Towing upgrades will include rear suspension upgrades, oil and trans cooler and electric brake controller, I will make another thread before I do it :)

So what are my axle or pumpkin choices when it's still under the powertrain warranty? Does mopar offer anything? I did a couple searches but really didn't find the answers on the Chrylser 8.25 with ABS.( My knowledge in cars is all foreign so I have been reading and searching, I got the truck today)

The truck has ABS, so sensor rings may be an issue if it's a rear end swap.

TIA,

Matt

Automatic lockers (Detroit locker, et al) are not recommended for towing. If you'll be on pavement 95% of the time, and towing, I think you'd be happy with a Trac-Lok. It's a clutch-type limited slip. Not the most aggressive unit out there, but also one of the less expensive. Better for you, it was offered as a factory option so if you put one in they would be hard pressed to void your warranty for having one.

Eagle said:
Automatic lockers (Detroit locker, et al) are not recommended for towing. If you'll be on pavement 95% of the time, and towing, I think you'd be happy with a Trac-Lok. It's a clutch-type limited slip. Not the most aggressive unit out there, but also one of the less expensive. Better for you, it was offered as a factory option so if you put one in they would be hard pressed to void your warranty for having one.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yeah, they'd never know if it's a swap of the diff. So a Trac-lok, what do ya say they run? Few hundred? With my old diff as a core?

Any links you can fish up? I know it's asking alot but......

Well, a dealer would know, because your VIN number will return an open diff if they run it. But they still couldn't blame the same diff offered by the factory for any other problems. Obviously, your factory warranty won't cover the diff.

The Trac-Lok will be a full carrier replacement, using your existing gears, but there's no "core." There's no market for rebuilt open carriers. Hang onto it and maybe some NAXJA member will need one for a gear swap, or to revive a dead axle under a beater.

The Trac-Lok is made by Dana-Spicer. All the gear shops sell it. There's another thread going with links to a couple of NAXJA members who are potential suppliers for you.

Thank you, that was the explanation that I needed. I will look into the vendors that sponsor the site.
thumb.gif

BMWNUTw/XJ said:
So what are my axle or pumpkin choices when it's still under the powertrain warranty? Does mopar offer anything? I did a couple searches but really didn't find the answers on the Chrylser 8.25 with ABS.
If you have ABS you have the D35, not the 8.25 axle. It would depend on the a-hole level of your dealer, but the Magnusson-Moss act is supposed ot protect you from warranty-voiding if the part you replaced is unrelated to the rest of the warranty. Normally that's used by owners who have been told that the bumpin' stereo has voided the powertrain warranty (it can't) or that the body lift caused the ball joints to fail (it shouldn't either).

Swapping in a heavier axle or putting a limited-slip in your D35 should cause them to reject any future claims on that axle, but the question becomes one of whether they could or would void the remainder of the powertrain. I don't know although that's an interesting position to be in. I can see where they could bi**h about regeared axles, although with larger tires that helps keep the engine in a much happier operating range.

I have a 2001 with ABS and a D35 rear. When I attempted to install an LSD in it I found that the ring gear bolts are a different size on my axle than previous D35's. Normal D35's have 5/16" bolts, but mine has 7/16" bolts. When I last checked into it, no one offered an LSD with the unique size bolt holes. I considered drilling out the holes in the LSD unit, but the metal is hardened and it wouldn't be easy. As far as I know, the only option is to get a new ring and pinion, with the normal size bolts, in addition to the LSD.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up before they have the rear all torn apart..

Dave

'01 xj

Back