• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 MJ disco actuator question

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've come across an 86 mj super cheap. I just want to use it at the hunting cabin for various chores. I think there is a problem with the disco actuator, or the vaccum hoses. Can I take the cover off of the disco unit and move the ring manually and reinstall the cover so it is always engaged? I am never going to be on the road with this, just woods, and fields. If so, does the ring need to be slid towards the driver's side or the pass. side in order to be engaged? One more thing, if I can't do this for whatever reason, any ideas on how to diagnose problem?

A number of people have done this, shifting it manually and shimming it with washers to keep it engaged. It won't hurt anything -- Chrysler discontinued using the disconnect in the XJ and MJ in 1991 anyway.

Someone posted a diagram showing exactly how he shimmed the shift fork awhile ago. Don't remember if it was on the OEM or Modified tech forum, but a search might turn it up. Try going back 6 months at first.

it has to be on both axles so it slides twards the drivers side. Also I just used a small hose clamp to hold them over
DIG IT!

Before you go nuts, sometimes its not the actuator motor. There is vacuum switch on the transfer case. It looks like a little distributor cap. Take that off and see if the ball is stuck. If it is you can get a new switch for $20 at the dealer.

Back