• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need links on 4.0L conversion

oldmopars

NAXJA Forum User
It looks like I may be converting my 87 MJ into a 4.0L and using my 89 XJ as the donor. The MJ has a near perfect body and is a 4x4 short box, but I can not make the 2.5L engine run worth a crap. The 89 XJ is a great runner, but the body does not have a straight panel on it and is a Laredo. So, I know this has been covered here before, but I am looking for links to web pages and threads on the subject.
Thanks,

CheapXJ did exactly what you want to do. Check his personal web site at www.cheapxj.com and see if he has a write-up. The only glitches he encountered, IIRC, were in matching the electrics.

Does the 87MJ share the same engine compartment as the XJ's? The early XJ's used a radiator support that moved the radiator back a few inches. When I converted my 85XJ from 2.5L to 4.7L stroker, I had to replace the front sheetmetal that held the facia and the hood. Probably the easiest way to tell is to see if the hood has a single latch in the middle or one on each side. One on each side was done to allow the radiator to move forward. On the 85XJ, the motor mounts from the 4.0L just bolted right in.

The '86 MJ had the same engine compartment as the 84 - 86 XJ -- too short for a 4.0L. 1987 was the first year for the 4.0L and I have an '87 MJ 4.0L, so the answer is "Yes."

Back