• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need to do something about my ball joints on 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
When I went to lubricate my ball joints on my front wheels, on my 90 xj , the grease came out of the bottom of the seall of the top ball joint, The rubber seal doesan't feel very good. Is this going to be a problem, or can I get away with it provided I grease it regularly.

If the answer is I need to replace the seal, How difficult would it be to replace the seal, and what would I have to do.

I can't find any zerk on the bottom ball joint. It seems different than the top one,

Check the ball joints for looseness and free play. If they are loose, replace. Otherwise, grease every 2500 miles anmd keep driving.

The bottom ball joint doesn't have a zerk because it goes in from the top and the axle u-joints would knock them off.

Matthew Currie said:
When a joint is greasable, it's always designed with seals that allow the grease to escape. Check as Eagle says, but don't worry about the grease. It has to go somewhere.

That's true for steering linkage ball and socket type joints (like the tie rod ends), but NOT for steering knuckle type joints. The knuckle ball joints have a "donut" type seal that is supposed to be permanent. Unfortunately, the often get blown out by overly enthusiastic use of the grease gun. Just a pump or two every oil change should be plenty enough for a ball joint with this type of seal.

Ok, I was overenthusiastic with a grease gun, even though I tried not to be.
The seal is broke. Do I have to replace it or can I just keep greasing regularly.

lapaul said:
Ok, I was overenthusiastic with a grease gun, even though I tried not to be.
The seal is broke. Do I have to replace it or can I just keep greasing regularly.
As long as the joint has no play in it, just grease it frequently, and remember not to blow the seal by overfilling on another ball joint. :wave1:

AZ Jeff said:
That's true for steering linkage ball and socket type joints (like the tie rod ends), but NOT for steering knuckle type joints. The knuckle ball joints have a "donut" type seal that is supposed to be permanent. Unfortunately, the often get blown out by overly enthusiastic use of the grease gun. Just a pump or two every oil change should be plenty enough for a ball joint with this type of seal.
Sorry, I disagree. I bought my original '88 XJ new and I have always done the oil changes and chassis lube. The ball joints have allowed the old grease to escape since Day One. As Matthew said, it has to go somewhere.

Heck, when replacing ball joints the weay you know they're full is when grease seeps out around the seal. It isn't a "seal," it's just a dust jacket.

Eagle said:
Sorry, I disagree. I bought my original '88 XJ new and I have always done the oil changes and chassis lube. The ball joints have allowed the old grease to escape since Day One. As Matthew said, it has to go somewhere.

Heck, when replacing ball joints the weay you know they're full is when grease seeps out around the seal. It isn't a "seal," it's just a dust jacket.
Eagle--are you sure about that? I have never seen the ball joint from an XJ out of it's socket on the knuckle, but I thought they had a rubber seal that was crimped onto the ball socket securely, and hence was not designed to allow old grease to "flush out".

If what you describe is true, and it's like the dust seals on a typical tie rod end, then I am guilty of passing bad info, and I apologize.

BTW--FORDS use the type I describe all the time, FWIW.

AZ Jeff said:
Eagle--are you sure about that?

Eagle is correct...I have done ball joints twice on mine, if you look close at the dust cover, there is a little "weak area" that directs the grease away from the rotors.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Eagle is correct...I have done ball joints twice on mine, if you look close at the dust cover, there is a little "weak area" that directs the grease away from the rotors.

Rev

OK. I guess I was passing bad info. I hope this does not trash my credibility too bad........... :hang:

Back