• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Road trip preparation - CPS?

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
OK...gonna be driving from So Cal to Vancouver in August. It'll be like a 3000 mile round trip. Been getting the XJ ready to hit the road.

Got new BFG ATs to replace my MTs (thanks Remi). Just replaced both oxygen sensors (thanks Rabbit). Did a coolant drain and fill. Changed the oil and tranny fluid. Cleaned the TB (and repaired a vacuum leak in the process). Gonna do a minor tune-up this weekend.

I guess my question is about the CPS. I've got 132K on the Jeep. Is it good preventive maintenance to change the CPS before it goes bad? I could always carry a spare, but it looks like it would be a real pain to change on the road.

For that matter, it looks like a pain to change in the garage. Would it be easier to remove the front DS and reach up there and do it blind? Can't reach it from the top.

Sorry for the long post...

Long extensions and a flexible nuckle are your friends in this process. Maybe a little electrical tape to stiffen the nuckle when you are trying to line it up. It is a very tight spot, but just be patient. I recently changed mine, and it only took about 30 minutes. Most of that time was finding the right combination of extensions/sockets. As for carrying the spare, it couldn't hurt, but it won't do you any good without access to the right tools. Oh, yeah, make sure you have a good flashlight to shine up there while you are working.

Back