• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake question

Cherokee91Red

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced the pads on the front axles today and they were feeling non-responsive, i had to pump about 3 times before enough pressure built up with the engine on. Tonight I bled a bottle and a half of fresh fluid thru the system, there is no air in the lines anywhere. Still brakes suck, i either have to pump up pressure or push almost to the floor in order to stop. There are no leaks, the drums are always dry and were tonight, and I don't lose any fluid. What is the problem?
'91
170,000 miles
no ABS

I would suspect that your MC is shot. When the internal seals go, it acts like air in the system. Of course there could be air for the back brakes! Did you do those too?

One of the reasons you should change fluid no less than every two years is to get rid of the fluid that has absorbed water. It tends to rust out the bores in the cylinders of not only the MC but at each brake.

Before you did the brakes, did the front wheels tend to get black with brake dust? If so, you need new calipers.

The older Cherokees in general (at least in my experience) don't seem to generate as much brake dust as the new models. Unless the calipers are sticking. If they stick, the pads and rotors overheat, which can boil the fluid and cause spongy pedal action.

Check your calipers.

Back