• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 8.25 Axle splines

telemike

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 Cherokee Classic. My driveline is 1997 parts. Last of the old style off the production line. My engine build code is 1997. My transfercase has the newer style slip yoke (the Loooong one). Now I am not sure how to figure out if my axles are 27 or 29 spline without taking them out and counting. Any hints??

i was in a like position several years ago.Here is what i did and found out------
check for a tag/sticker on the axle end between the brake and spring-there is a series of numbers on it.take these numbers to the dlr and ask what axle replaces it(like it was broken) and it should list spline count.
Mine has a build date of 12/95 and is a 96 model with 27 spline axles
The #code on the axle was 5206-9603 for 27 spline
The code #-5209-8931 is a 29 spline axle. I would GUESS that a higher numbered sticker would be the 29 spline axles.
Only way to be positive would be to pull them------ When was the last time you changed the fluid?
HTH
Wayne

Back