• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 upgrade

mgt

NAXJA Member #653
i want to upgrade the inners on my d30, which ones should i go with ? spicer, warn, superior, any others ? :shhh:

pick up the new four wheeler magazine (september)and check out the new set up from try county gear. Looks pretty good.

mgt said:
i want to upgrade the inners on my d30, which ones should i go with ? spicer, warn, superior, any others ? :shhh:

Why not upgrade the stubs too?
Ujoints, CTMs...?

Then youll be at risk of braking ring and pinnions (depending on conditions.)
In the end your stuck with the d30 steering, small bearings for offset rims, small brakes, thin axle tubes, no lockouts, small 1310 Ujoint at the pinnion... on a modified Xj?

If you have out grown a stock d30 you have out grown the d30.
If your d30 is broke/repairable, just fix it, why upgrade it? Carry spares.

In the latest 4Wheeler there is an article about a guy named Jason Bunch who owns Tri County Gear.
He has been working with ARB on a new RD series of lockers.
The RD104 (?) fits inside of the HP30 housing, and, after replacing seals and bearings, uses D44 axle shafts.
The ARB also relocates the air line to the other side to negate notching the bearing cap.
They also have a D44 ARB that uses D60 shafts.
Strength and clearance, Clarence.
How can you fail?

DSCF0005.JPG

There's a ton of stuff to do to a turdy. I have better steering and trussed axle. Only missing a locker diff (limited slip for now), alloy axle shafts and big brakes. Two of those can be easily fixed. I'm also happy with my 33" tires by adding alloy shafts would help with the trail confidence.

I guess its alot on how you drive, Ive done quite a few tough trails in the ol xj with 33's and stock disco d30 260 shafts even some of best of the west 1 (shhhh) dont tell. would have tried more but had no spare left. and 15 plugs in one of the good tires

warn d 30 inners on PBB here is a guy selling warn inners decent prices new and used

Last edited:
the tri county gear one is a custom axle.I believe u would need to change the gears also.

I dont want to put alot of money into a 30 but stronger axles are only a few bucks more , why not. If i was going to replace the hubs with warn and all the axles etc... I would just get a 44 made. I just want to replace the inners for now. $$$$$$

a dana 44 that uses D60 shafts? 60's didn't come in 33 splines like the super D44 from superior. I think superior had it first with the super 35, then the super 44 and now the super 30. not to start a debate on the matter of who did it first.

CrMo inner shafts does you no help if you break a ujoint and damage the yoke ears. that will void the warranty. just go with a good set of TJ shafts with 5-760x joints and full circle clips.

Rawbrown said:
a dana 44 that uses D60 shafts? 60's didn't come in 33 splines like the super D44 from superior. I think superior had it first with the super 35, then the super 44 and now the super 30. not to start a debate on the matter of who did it first.

CrMo inner shafts does you no help if you break a ujoint and damage the yoke ears. that will void the warranty. just go with a good set of TJ shafts with 5-760x joints and full circle clips.

what year tj has 760x u-joints? i can get the newer tj shafts for $75 a piece

moneypitxj said:
what year tj has 760x u-joints? i can get the newer tj shafts for $75 a piece
All TJ's have the 760's. That is what I run, but will be upgrading them to the warn inners, and keeping the TJ shafts for spares.

Will the tj inners fit ok into my d30 ? It's a 99. What would make the tj shafts different from xj's ?

how did u get your aev rear bumber I've been waiting a long time for them to come out with it

mgt said:
how did u get your aev rear bumber I've been waiting a long time for them to come out with it
I was one of the very first group to get them over two years ago. They halted production shortly after and haven't shipped any more out that I know of. Check their website for updates.

actually, TJ shafts have a 5-297x u-joint. dimentionally the same as the 760x. but its greasable. 760x shafts have a forged trunion (cross) for a little more strength and are no greasable so there is extra metal. the shafts I recomend are OEM shafts that have been machined for full circle clips. if you buy a set of TJ shafts, typically they are not machined for full circle clips. so you would have to take the u-joint out and have the yoke ears machined for full circle clips.

Back