• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank skid or rocker rails

danald

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to Moab this fall and want to add some additional armor to my Jeep. I can only afford one or the other. Which one do you think is more prone to damage. I will have a 99XJ with RE 3.5" SF and 3/4" spacer in front with 30" bfgs and I already have a transfercase skid.

I would vote to get a set of rock rails ( solid ones ) and find a factory gas tank skid ( usually can be had for $30 )

-Scott

What sintax is basically saying is, find a way to afford both. That would be the best advice. If you really must choose between one and the other, I would go with a gas tank skid. Crushed rockers won't leave you stranded out in the middle of nowhere. A hole in your gas tank could.

I am in the same boat. Short on cash and still need rocker skids and gas tank skid plate. Can't afford both. However, if a gas tank skid can be found for $30, then I might be able to. But, I have never seen them for less than $150. Where can you get them for $30? Also, on rocker skids, I am looking at the Tomken skids. I like the way they look and want the most protection possible. I want the bottom part of the side of my car protected but don't want to give up to much clearance. Any ideas?

Hit the junk yards. The factory skid does quite well. I have banged the hell out of mine and it has done just fine, especially at Moab. At Moab you drop off lots of ledges and tend to land on the gas tank. I also have a 2" receiver hitch on the rear that takes a lot of beating, but even with all of that, I streamlined my bumper on several ledges.

The real question is how much money do you have. Gas tank skids in the aftermarket, Rusty's Skid Row aren't cheap. about 225 or so. Rock rails will run any place from 200-300 depending on where you get them.
I run a Skid Rows gas tank skid. Really nice strong product. cost me $220 plus shipping. They make one for 99' XJ's. http://www.skidplates.com/skid_plates_84_01_XJ.htm

Rock rails. I have Kevin's Jeep Parts Rock Rails. They come bare metal, ready for paint. Mount in several spots. Strong as hell and the price is right. about 255 with shipping.
www.kevinsjeepparts.com
Look under protection. So that is about 500 or a little over. Hope that helps. Juice

sintax said:
I would vote to get a set of rock rails ( solid ones ) and find a factory gas tank skid ( usually can be had for $30 )

-Scott

I myself am also looking for a gas tank skid but all I ever find is the gas tank skid for 84-96.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 84-96 gas tank skid NOT fit on a 97-01?

If someone could help me that would be great!!

:confused:

I think I can get the rock rails from rigidco for $190, anyone use these before? I was thinking of getting the newly designed gas skid from Rock Lizards for roughly $230 that come with the nut stips and all the hardware. I might have to sweet talk my wife to get both

Although it is for the wrong model year I got a factory gas tank skid for $3 from a local u-pull it. It was already off the vehical to. It fit my 96 and it came off an 87, might be worth a look? Anyone know how different the 97+ skids are?

Shanbo44 said:
IMHO I would waste money on an after-market gas tank skid. Find one at a junk yard. The difference between factory and after market is minimal.

Mine has sure taken a beating on the Rubicon from my 1 trip there. How much more stout are the aftermarket ones? I haven't really looked at them, but I know this is a very important area to protect.
Troy

staticrevolution said:
Although it is for the wrong model year I got a factory gas tank skid for $3 from a local u-pull it. It was already off the vehical to. It fit my 96 and it came off an 87, might be worth a look? Anyone know how different the 97+ skids are?

They are quite different. They use teh same gas tank as ZJ's. A friend hacked up a pre-96 skid to fit his '98, but he isn't very confident in it's strength.

dmillion said:
What sintax is basically saying is, find a way to afford both. That would be the best advice. If you really must choose between one and the other, I would go with a gas tank skid. Crushed rockers won't leave you stranded out in the middle of nowhere. A hole in your gas tank could.
What he said. Rockers are cosmetic. You won't go far with a hole in the gas tank -- not to mention the fire hazard. Given a need to choose one or t'other, IMHO the gas tank skid wins every time.

staticrevolution said:
The 97+ skids are very different.

I read somewhere that the 97+ XJ uses the same gas tank as the 98- ZJ and that ZJ tank skids will fir the XJ. I have not verified this but it's something to look at if you have a 97+ XJ.

www.offroadtoystore.com has the 97+ XJ and the 98+ ZJ as having the same gas tank skid. The majority if not all the Skid Row skids are cheaper that www.skid-row.com and also have free shipping. I talked to Skid Row today and they are out of the 97+ gas tank skid for XJ's, or else I'd be getting one on Saturday at the PA Jeep Show.

I think you should get rock rails. Repairing you rockers will not be cheap (GO UNI-BODY). You can always shove a bar of soap up there to get you off the trail.

I would either get Warn's or Kevin's. If you get Kevin's you should have enough to get a cheap gas tank skid as well.

evilpresence said:
www.offroadtoystore.com has the 97+ XJ and the 98+ ZJ as having the same gas tank skid.
Something is very wrong with this. 1998 was the LAST year for the ZJ. 1999 was when the WJ started, and having owned one I am 100% certain that a WJ gas tank skid will not fit either a ZJ or an XJ.

There is no "+" to the 98 ZJ.

danald said:
I think I can get the rock rails from rigidco for $190, anyone use these before? I was thinking of getting the newly designed gas skid from Rock Lizards for roughly $230 that come with the nut stips and all the hardware. I might have to sweet talk my wife to get both

I'm in the same situation in that I've been planning to do a gas tank skid and rocker protection before Moab this fall. The nice thing about Rigidco is they are local, could save you a little. Get the gas skid then take the wife to Moab and convince her you need some rocker protecton!
I've had my eye on a Tomken skid and rails from Rocky Road outfitters for some time now....

Back