• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 to a ford 8.8

Jeepin_rebel

NAXJA Forum User
Im most likley swapping out my d35 for a 8.8 out of a ford Exploder with rear disk brakes. Now i understand that the spring perches will have to be moved , but i am wondering what else will need to be done. IE are the u joints the same size, Emergency brake setup, or any other thing i will need to change. Also what is the axle housing diamiter?
Thx Ryan

Jeepin_rebel said:
Im most likley swapping out my d35 for a 8.8 out of a ford Exploder with rear disk brakes. Now i understand that the spring perches will have to be moved , but i am wondering what else will need to be done. IE are the u joints the same size, Emergency brake setup, or any other thing i will need to change. Also what is the axle housing diamiter?
Thx Ryan

Go to mountainoffoad.com These people are the pioneers of the swap and have the kit to make it work in an xj. It is a really nice axle, I have it in my yj with a spring over. It is easy to find and if you need replacement parts down the road you just go back to a salvage yard and get what you need.
Troy

Dude there is so much information on 8.8's here. Just search...you'll find what you need. You need new ebrake cables, and driveshaft adapter flange, among other things.

Ok. I have checked the site out...they want 160 bucks for this kit. The kit also dosent come with this flange? So where would i find that....sorry to be such a PITA.

Thx

You didn't look that hard. It's on the MORE page with the rest of the kit.
Or piece it together like I have.
ORGS/JKS rear shock mounts- $26.00
Mountain Offroad-Spring Perches $36.00
E-brake Cables-$118
Yoke Flange-$40.00
U-bolts-$40.00
Total $260

Or the Mountain Offroad full kit $160
E-Brake $118
Yoke Flange $40
total MORE. $318

I have the parts, but not the axle yet. So I'm kind of doing it backwards. Juice

you can just use d60 spring perches, which I picked up for 25 bucks new
then, you can get the spicer d-shaft adapter for about 25-26 bucks from a d-shaft shop.
cut your old shock mounts off the d35 and weld them onto the 8.8, but move them up when you do it.
u-bolts can be picked up from NAPA and MORE is probably the best bet for the e-brake cables, which I haven't bothered with yet.
Oh, and just use the Explored u-bolt plates, and cut off the shock mount. Works just fine and saves tons over the MORE kit

juicexj24 said:
You didn't look that hard. It's on the MORE page with the rest of the kit.
Or piece it together like I have.
ORGS/JKS rear shock mounts- $26.00
Mountain Offroad-Spring Perches $36.00
E-brake Cables-$118
Yoke Flange-$40.00
U-bolts-$40.00
Total $260

Or the Mountain Offroad full kit $160
E-Brake $118
Yoke Flange $40
total MORE. $318

I have the parts, but not the axle yet. So I'm kind of doing it backwards. Juice
That helps out a good deal. Thx

TRL WGN 1 said:
you can just use d60 spring perches, which I picked up for 25 bucks new
then, you can get the spicer d-shaft adapter for about 25-26 bucks from a d-shaft shop.
cut your old shock mounts off the d35 and weld them onto the 8.8, but move them up when you do it.
u-bolts can be picked up from NAPA and MORE is probably the best bet for the e-brake cables, which I haven't bothered with yet.
Oh, and just use the Explored u-bolt plates, and cut off the shock mount. Works just fine and saves tons over the MORE kit
hmmm that an even better idea.....saves me some money.COOOOl

You've picked a good axle to use and it is easy to get. The disc brakes alone almost make the swap worth it. I got a dana 44 setup with 4.56 gears, new brakes, detroit locker etc so I just swapped that in, otherwise I would have used a ford 8.8
Troy

$118 for ebrake cables sounds really expensive. I'm pretty sure ZJ ebrake cables will work just fine and are much cheaper (~$40 from NAPA). I havent installed my ebrakes yet, but I've been told that these lines will hook up just fine.

I did not bother with buying extra ebrake cables at all as the D35 cables work fine if modified properly.

There is a page (somewhere) detailing the process, but it involves:

Removing a few "coils" of the spring that is at the end of the cable.

Trimming the 3 tabs that hold the cable to the axle so that it will fit inside the 8.8 (and stay).

Using one ubolt per side to affix the D35 cable ends to the ebrake levers on the 8.8, using vice grips or similar to bend the cable arounf the end of the lever, and the small ubolt to hold it in place.

Just look at it, you can probably figure it out with a little thought. A dremel tool is very useful for the cutting necessary, a cut off wheel would be fine as well.

My ebrake works great, with no trouble - or extra cost.

Josh

Guys why can't you grab a driveshaft out of a ranger or the vehicle you get the axle out of and use the flange end off that shaft and attach it to the XJ shaft, same u-joint if I remember.

A few tips from my swap (thanks to all who helped)

I made my perches out of 2.5" box (1\4") I incorporated a 1.5" lift to it

I bought an additional pass side soft brake hose, and re-used the pass side hard line I also took the D35 T block and reused it (direct fit) The drivers side will have to be made

I originally tried a LOKAR adapter for the P-Brake, but ended up using the JU method. (22.00 down the tubes)

My old shock mounts were cut off and reused I am currently using stock shocks, but haven't found a happy medium between droop/compression lengths

I also made an extended bumpstop ala DPG Offroad

I bought a conversion U-joint (1310x1330) and re-used the 8.8 adapter

Make SURE you inspect the axle and hardware before purchase. I didn't and ended up having to replace all brake hardware at considerable expense (to my broke ass)

HTH

John

Last edited:
Really like the e brake idea ( I'm cheap), I'm just started an 8.8 into an XJ, wonder if anyone has tried cutting of their old brackets and remounting them to the 8.8 .I'm sure I can used the shock mount since I plan on shortening it moving it up level with the axle,like I said I'm cheap.

simonsxj said:
Guys why can't you grab a driveshaft out of a ranger or the vehicle you get the axle out of and use the flange end off that shaft and attach it to the XJ shaft, same u-joint if I remember.
I was wondering the same thing.

Back