• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat swapping??

keith haw

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this post twice but looks like first one didn't work. Anyway, can the front seats in an 87 XJ Wagoneer be swapped side to side? I'm wondering about the power controls that bolt to the side of the seat.
Thanks
Keith

Keith,

Just FYI, I live in AZ too and have a '88 Wagoneer that I am raping for parts. So if you're looking for something odd that you can't seem to find, let me know and I'll tell you if I still have it. Just might save you some searching and money.

Mark Burns
602-538-7076

The switch panel for the power seat control mounts to the bottom seat pan with 2 self-tapping sheet metal screws. You can move everything above the seat base to the other side, but will have to drill 2 new holes for the switch panel. I don't know what is wrong with your seat. If the driver's bottom pan is OK,you could move that to the other side, or pull off the upholstry and just move that.

Thanks for the replies...I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2 seats. They've been recovered so look ok. But the pass seat is ALOT more comfortable to sit in than the drivers side. Maybe I should look into ZJ seats.
Keith

keith haw said:
Thanks for the replies...I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2 seats. They've been recovered so look ok. But the pass seat is ALOT more comfortable to sit in than the drivers side. Maybe I should look into ZJ seats.
Keith
More than likely the driver's seat has been sat in a lot more. There are no springs in the seat bottom, only foam, and foam breaks down over time. I'm sure sitting on it accelerates the process. AFAIK the foam cushions are symmetrical, so you (or an upholstery shop) could pull the covers off, swap the cushions side-to-side, and reinstall the covers. While the covers are off you could probably also add a layer of 1" foam to the cushion that's been beaten down to restore it closer to original configuration.

Thanks Eagle...I just figured that beings I had them recovered that they would have replaced the foam...Maybe I figured wrong. Guess I'll just have to take them apart and check. That'd be cheaper than new/different seats aanyway.
Keith

Back