• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Details of TSBs wanted

MattS

NAXJA Forum User
I had my evaporator replaced, due to a leak, about a month ago. Ever since then, it has been freezing up. I took it back to the dealership that fixed it, and they said "ACs freeze up when it's humid and you run it very cold at a low speed" I don't buy this! It didn't do it before. It is under an extended warranty, so why would they care? Anybody know of a site I can get the details of TSBs? I looked at my list and saw one for evaporator freeze up and want to show them what is wrong and how to fix it!
Thanks in advance!!

Here's one database that I found that will give you access to all TSBs and Recall info:
http://www.sjlib.org/patronauthorization.htm
===
Enter library card # 23186000000000
===
Select "Auto Repair Database"
===
Select "EBSCOhost Select Service"
===
Select "Auto Repair Reference Center"
===
Select your auto from the list....etc.

MattS said:
I took it back to the dealership that fixed it, and they said "ACs freeze up when it's humid and you run it very cold at a low speed" I don't buy this! It didn't do it before. It is under an extended warranty, so why would they care?
They are very out of date -- or trying to snow you.

MANY years ago, in addition to a fan speed control auto a/c systems also had a temperature control dial. The coldest end of the scale was typically labeled "Desert" for that reason -- it was too cold to be used in humid climates, and would freeze up the condenser. Newer vehicles (including ALL years of the XJ) don't have a driver-adjustable temperature control. It's preset at the factory. If the condenser is freezing up, the thermal sensor is faulty.

Matt, you have changed your vehicle. You went from a leaking evaporator to a new evaporator with a full charge of refrigerant. You XJ will cool better. Your new evaporator is totaly clean and not slimed with the dust/oil film like your old one.

You new evaporator will adsorb more heat out of the vehicle vs your old one. Now with the new evaporator you are experiencing a problem you have not had before.

Let me ask how you set the controls. Do you turn it to "max air" vs normal air? Also so you slide the temp control all the way to cold?

I hear a mechanic on the radio years ago suggest the following for your problem:

1) Avoid running on max AC, it closes off the vents to outside air. When you park you forget to move back to normal AC to allow the vents to open. With the vents open the moisture and evaporate away. If you keep it on Max AC you can start growing mold.

2) Avoid setting the temp selector to full cold. If you have the lever type back it off a 1/2 inch, if it a dial back it off a click or two. This allows the heater control valve to open and let some heat into the air stream. You will not notice the vehicle being any warmer and you avoid the problem you are having.

You now have a much better cooler, so more moisture will percipitate out of the air, if the coil around 32F the moisture will freeze. By having the temp selector bumped up just a little bit the problem is gone.

I did both and got rid of my mold problem in my 86 Mustang and never had a evaporator freeze up on any vehicle I own.

Back