• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom long arm help

Uglygreenxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently in the design stage of my switch to a 3 link long arm front susp. setup. I plan to use two long lower arms with one short upper or possibly two with one being removable.

My question is this: It seems as though all the available kits and most of the custom setups I've seen have the frame end mounts running parrallel with the frame rail and either centered directly underneath it or slightly offset inboard. However, the mounts on the axle are angled toward the center of the jeep slightly:

------------------------------------- axle
\ \ / /

I I I I frame end mounts

The photos sure look like the bushing ends are welded perpendicular to the arms at both ends and not angled.

Am I missing something? It sure seems to me that either I would need to move my frame end mounts inboard a few inches and angle them to line up with the axle mounts, or the arm at the axle end would be attatched to the bushing sleeve at an angle.

Am I just making it more difficult than it needs to be? I love to fab stuff like the next guy but I dont want to make my crossmember twice! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dave

I angled my frame mount brackets in a bit. I also used JJ on the frame end of the LCA.

I think I will probably mount them inboard a bit and angle them. I also plan to use Johnny Joints at the frame end and just bushings at the axle.

Thanks for your input! .... now for part 2

Anyone know the compressed length of the RE 5.5" front springs?

Good luck finding any material for the bushings!I think Im going to end up getting someone to machine the sleeves.Between the odd size and the stepped shoulder I havent found anything that will work!

I was planning on just using the bushings from the arms that came with my original lift (I ordered xtra ones a while back) and then making new sleeves to hold them. Is it not that simple? I like the idea of using OEM rubber ones but I assume you would have to have a machine shop machine an oversized peice of tube to the correct size to press them into. Is this what you mean?

Yeap,thats the problem!Its looking more and more like Im going to have some 2 3/4"x.375" machined to fit the bushings.I just bought some new TRW bushings this morning.

Minor=2.245"
Major=2.280"

I see that you're in Phoenix area too. You'll have to let me know what you come up with. I really think it will be worth it to find a way to use OEM ones. The rubber ones should flex better and offer a way better ride. I put the "bombproof" style Poly. engine mounts on my XJ once and then promptly replaced them the very next day with OEM ones. It felt like my seat was hard mounted to the engine! I've not cared for Poly. ever since!

Yeah I want to run "stock bushings too",I already bought RE LA uppers because I already knew about the stock upper dimensions.But I thought that I could come up with something for the lowers!

I had to turn my bushing barrel (or whatever it is called) on a lathe. The inside bore had to have two different ID to accomodate for the step in the bushing sleeve.

I am definitely missing something. Does an OEM type rubber bushing have a step on its outer metal sleeve?

Yes.there is a step (shoulder) on the last 1/3!

Now I get it, that definitely makes things more interesting! I think one of my friends has access to a lathe. He made a tire carrier and had to turn down the tube for the bearing race he used. I'll have to check into it.

Hi all, Well I just got finished building a true 3-link front suspension for my XJ. I used regular XJ rubber bushings at the axle (3) and JJ at the frame (2). As for the step in the bushing I just pressed them into a tube that I came across without any problems, nice tight fit!

The upper arm mounts to the original LCA mounting point and the lowers attach to my new transmission/transfer case mount. The lower arms are 2X2 1/4 steel and the uppers are 2X2 3/16 steel. The lowers are also adjustable. The upper arm swivels on a one ton axle stub with a rubber bushing attached for the center mounting point.

I have not been able to take pictures of the arms yet and I am a long way from running the XJ around to see how well it works. Maybe in 6-8 months I may have it on the road. Good luck!!

I can see finding a piece of tubing that the OEM bushing would press into, but if you don't machine for the step then wouldn't you have that other one third of the bushing sticking out of the end of the tube?

On the RE Bracket kit, the tube sleeves that the bushing presses into does not have the step. The small end of the bushing fits snug and compresses the shoulder on the bushing to fit the tube. That is what keeps the bushing from rotating in the sleeve.

HTH, Dan

Back