• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas cap door/flap wont stay closed...

spkshasha

NAXJA Forum User
So I was curious what has been thumping in the back of my 2000 lately...seems that the gas flap doesnt stay closed...It just opens and closes freely with no resistance..Wondering what keeps the flap closed on the newer XJs...Is there supposed to be a spring or something?? Any help would be appreciated.

There is a big flat arched leaf spring that holds the door in both the closed and open position. It's held in place by a couple of pins that go through brackets on the body and on the gas cap door.

IF the spring is broken/missing, your best bet is to get one off a door in a junkyard.

spkshasha said:
Good stuff, altho that gives me a few more questions..Is that the same for all years or is that only the 97+s? Even better, could I get one from another type of vehicle??
I am not sure, but to be on the safe side, I would say those for 97+ would all fit each other, and likewise for the older ones.

A boneyard would have an interchange table that owuld tell you for sure.

Back