• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Anetnna Mount Location?

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
I've search but nothing difinitive.. :dunno: I picked up a 4' Firestick with co-ax for next to nothing. Now I have something to go with the Cobra Ultra 19 II that I found at a lawn sale.

This is what I've been thinking, ThanX to PHatXJ
Or is thare a better spot to mount the antenna? I do not want to use a magnet to attach it to the roof. looking for a more permanent location.

orig.jpg

Starboard M said:
A friend of mine mounted his on the rear bumper by the tail light. That's were I plan on mounting mine when the time comes.

I thought of the rear bumper but with a 4' stick, not much of it will be abouve the jeep. With CB's using skip???(not a pro) I might end up with bad reception.

Would it fit inbetween the gap of the tail light box and the rear hatch? I was thinking of mounting mine in that spot.

Since I made that mount (and posted that pic) I have actually had a chance to go wheelin and test it out. The wheelin' here in WA is alot different than back home. Here, I'm constantly squeezin' in and out of trees and also deal with a lot of low hanging branches and lot's of brush. My antenna held up great. Had it completely bent all the way over several times.

What that other pic doesn't show, is that I also put a spring on it as well.

I really like the stainless antenna, and will never go back to a fiberglass 'firestick' style antenna again. Regardless of antenna type, I would imagine this mount style would work as long as you had the spring.

Got close enought to the trees to dent the hell out of my fender, but never hurt my CB antenna at all :D

PNW4WDA_199.sized.jpg

PNW4WDA_200.sized.jpg

Mine is mounted using the same type of mount but on the opposite guard. I like to be able to see the aerial so I can avoid damaging it. I also went with a stainless one that is 185cm tall, bends nicely and works great. Should also add that here in Australia UHF is more popular than the AM CB's so I cant say how this location will work reception wise with AM CB's.

Cheers
Steve

Check out the pics in my Webshots folders. Mine is similarly mounted to thos ein the pics above - it's solid and safe - no problems.

...and I only have a 3' K40, tuned. No problems for miles around me, depending on terrain.

http://community.webshots.com/user/sports_guy

It's the one labeled "Custom CB Overhead Console".

HTH

i had a firestick mounted on my front fender just like that until i aputated it in som elow branches... the spring woulda halped there.... i have since relocated it to INSIDE the rear bumper on the passenger side.. i mounted the base inside to protect it from trees and such and just drilled a big hole in the top of the bumper for the 102" steel whip to poke thru.... now it will only be damaged if i crush the rear bumper....

mike

sportsguy & PhatXJ

Did you have any trouble running the co-ax out the side of the hood? Doe it get a good kink in it or that don't matter?

Whatever you do, do not kink the coax. If you do, you run the possibility of the center conductor pinching thru the inside insulator (usually a soft foam on good quality coax "al la" RG-8U or -8X) and shorting to the braid. Cheaper coax with a more "plastic" type inside insulator will tolerate more kink, but sooner or later you'll notice deteriorating results. Watch your SWR, if it starts going thru the roof, your coax is shorted...

Also, antenna placement determines radiation patterns. In the center of the roof yields the best 360 degree pattern. Mounted on the bumper, your pattern heavily favors the direction the back of your jeep points, and vise versa for the front mounting. Front fender mounting seems to be the best compromise...

--ron

XJ91 said:
sportsguy & PhatXJ

Did you have any trouble running the co-ax out the side of the hood? Doe it get a good kink in it or that don't matter?

Yeah, like Ron said, avoid kinking the cable if at all possible. The sharpest turn mine makes is right where it comes out of the antenna and curls back up into the gap between the quarter panel and hood. From there, it actually goes inside the quarter panel up inside my fender well, then it goes through the grommet in the front door jam to the inside of the cab where it goes underneath the carpet to my CB.

XJ91 said:
I thought of the rear bumper but with a 4' stick, not much of it will be abouve the jeep. With CB's using skip???(not a pro) I might end up with bad reception.
On his old Jeep it worked good for a good distance. Don't know how far though. On his new on he has a huge ~8' wip thing... that has reseption. For our needs, you don't need to talk to people 10 miles away, just 100 yards to the Jeep in front of you.

PhatXJ said:
Yeah, like Ron said, avoid kinking the cable if at all possible. The sharpest turn mine makes is right where it comes out of the antenna and curls back up into the gap between the quarter panel and hood. From there, it actually goes inside the quarter panel up inside my fender well, then it goes through the grommet in the front door jam to the inside of the cab where it goes underneath the carpet to my CB.
Ditto to the above. My sharpest kink is the same spot as Phat's.

After that, I pried the inside of the fender enough to allow the soldered on connector to get through the gap. After that, since I was using heavy-duty cable, it was a cinch to run it around the door jam. Never thought of using the gromet in the door frame - good one Phat.

The wiring is all run behind the trim panel on the A-pillar and tucked under the headliner until it comes out behind the mirror and CB area. It's helped a TON looseneing the trim panel screws trying to tuck that heavy co-ax cable behind it - don't remove the trim, just get it loose if you go this route.

My current SRW is under 1 on all channels. Nice and clear. About as strong as I'm likely to get with the front mounted antenna and my Cobra 19...unless I can find someone to tweak my CB outputs for a bit more oomph...not that that idea is condoned!:shiver: LOL

Up until this point, I have had no problems with this set-up. Even when I am trail leader on a run the tail-gunner can hear me fine (usually about 10 - 15 vehicvles back with trail-spacing).

Why not simply mount it in the center of the roof and take advantage of the improved radiation pattern? It doesn't seem like it would be hard. Take down the headliner, drill a hole, mount the antenna with some sealant around it and put the headliner back up.

Robert

Back