• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

contaminated brake fluid

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
Last week I did a front brake job while changing the axle u-joints. The rotors where scored bad and the pads almost few apart. I knew they where wearing out, just didn't think that bad. Anyway, new 1 piece rotors and carbon metallic pads from Autozone and my brakes are 100% again.

Today I decided to flush out my brake system and put in Valvoline Synpower fluid. The old fluid was nasty, to me at least. The fluid that came out of the reservoir was almost black and the stuff that got pumped out of the wheels had particulates and small chucks in it.

I drained the reservoir and removed it to thoroughly clean it out. It had a lot of brown flaky build up in it which was a pain to get out. Then I pumped new fluid through the system until it was clear.

So far so good, but what could all that crap in the old fluid be? And, If y'all are looking for those 1 piece rotors, Autozone has them, their part number is 5115B.

--Matt

Matt, that brown/black crud is known as "rust".:) I know, because I have it too. I did my brake job last fall, and have been putting off changing the fluid. Mine looked the same as you describe.

It sounds like you got it all out.......

Back