• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Q for those who swapped in a stick shift into a newer (97+) XJ

Do you mean the computer, or PCM (Powertrain Control Module?) Why not swap the old one from the wreck with the tranny?

Lawn Cher' said:
Do you mean the computer, or PCM (Powertrain Control Module?) Why not swap the old one from the wreck with the tranny?
OK.. now I'm starting to get confused: I thought that the computer and PCM were the same thing? Also I was told that the smog equipment is different in the 97 and 98 thus I might have problems swapping a pcm over.

Kejtar said:
OK.. now I'm starting to get confused: I thought that the computer and PCM were the same thing? Also I was told that the smog equipment is different in the 97 and 98 thus I might have problems swapping a pcm over.
I know a few people here did it... where are you hiding at?

Kejtar said:

They are the same, I was listing both terms. I should have said "aka" instead of "or."

What smog equipment would be different? Both have 2 O2 sensors, and both of yours should have CA emissions, no? I don't see a problem, especially since you have both vehicles there and should be able to mix 'n' match enough stuff to make it work.

Lawn Cher' said:
They are the same, I was listing both terms. I should have said "aka" instead of "or."

What smog equipment would be different? Both have 2 O2 sensors, and both of yours should have CA emissions, no? I don't see a problem, especially since you have both vehicles there and should be able to mix 'n' match enough stuff to make it work.
I sure hope so.... I looked up the parts in the chrysler parts catalogs and was also told by someone that they are different as well, but I hope that it's just a part numbering scheme change (they have different length/nomenclature) that resulted from the DCX merger. Worst comes to worst I could swap EVERYTHING over, but I'm not looking forward to that. Btw, I know they changed some things between the years as the oil sender has a different plug on it.

I wouldn't be suprised if the part #'s were different but they were the same, when I was looking for a hood the part #'s for them were different from 97 and up, as well as the price, $100 more, but when I threw the hood off a earlier model Cherokee it was identical.

Lawn Cher' said:

I meant the terms "computer" and "PCM" are the same. I can't guarantee that the '97 & '98 models are the same. It would make sense that they are; even if they aren't you should be able to make it work with the stuff you have on hand. I don't think it would have to go as far as a complete engine swap, just some bolt on parts if anything.

Who's on first?

All emissions parts are external to the engine itself, so why would you have to swap the entire long block? I don't think there is anything to fear here, dude.

Back