• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can I fix exhaust pipe leak myself

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
my exhaust pipe on my 90 xj has a leak near the front where the pipe turns from the drivers side to the passenger side, it looks like a slit in the pipe about 5 or 6 inches long.

Is this something I can fix myself, and if so how, or should I take it to a muffler shop. What would they do and how much would it cost.

I don't have welding equipment or know how to weld.

A cheapskate with a welder can keep a rotten exhaust system together for a long time, but it isn't necessarily a good economy even if you do all the work yourself. If you did weld it it would almost certainly have to come off. Depending on condition, that might also mean having to do a lot of hacking at the manifold/pipe flange, new bolts, new gasket, etc. - not to mention new bolts and gasket at the catalytic converter if it's the old flange type. At that point, you might as well get a new pipe since the labor is the same. I don't think it's that expensive a part, and it's likely that the repair won't last that long anyway. Usually if there's a big rust hole or crack in one place it won't be long before it recurs somewhere else.

if its on the flat (meaning you can cut out the section and splice on the horizontal) then give it a shot. Use a saws-all or cutting wheel and remove the damaged section.

Its basically 2.25ID pipe and 2" clamps if you don't have an Oxy-Acet torch
to weld up the ring. *Remember to take a piece of the cut out section with you to match it up with the new section and couplings.

You could however consider putting your efforts elsewhere on your rig and take it up to the local Muffler shop for a quick fix. :dunno:

good luck

Or you could just buy a new exhaust pipe and install it. Shouldn't cost more than $25 or $35 at one of the chains.

:lecture:
Eagle said:
Or you could just buy a new exhaust pipe and install it. Shouldn't cost more than $25 or $35 at one of the chains.

Guys, I think he's talking about the downpipe from the manifold to the cat. I cant remember where else the pipe would turn from the drivers to the passenger side. at the cat its ALL on the passenger side. If this is the case you could scrounge one at the wrecking yard, but it depends you'd probably have to be quick about it since all the legit yards cut the converter out per EPA rules. Any law abiding yard will not let a cat go out for customers to pull themselves.

just cut up a beer can wrap it around the pipe put on some hose clamps and you done lol:p:)

if you start messing around with the front pipe, you may weaken it at the flange where it connects to the convertor. you might as well replace the pipe, they arent that expensive.

I went to a local independent muffler shop, and they put in a weld for $25, which I thought was a good deal.

On closer inspection the hole was right above where the pipe is next to the front universal joint on the front driveshaft, where that joint attaches to the front differential

It looks like some time in the past the pipe got bashed in at that spot creating a weak spot. I bought this xj used, and I'd guess looking at the damage to the pipe, that the front universal broke, detached from the front differential letting it create some damage as it hit the pipe right next to it.

Something similiar happed to my exhaust pipe in the rear of my xj when the rear u joint broke on the rear drive shaft.

Last edited:
Back