• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Temp Gauge?

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
For those that wheel with an automatic, how many of you have installed a temp gauge for the transmission? I have always thought about installing one but since I don't tow anything, at least not now, I haven't really seen the need. I saw one on Jeepin Jason's and liked the cleanness of the install: http://jeepin.com/features/tranny_temp_gauge/index.asp Is it a good idea if I don't do any towing?

-Mike

I personally don't have one yet (on the to do list), but my buddy does. It's definitely nice to see how warm it gets. He's also got a cooler so it's just kinda nice to be able to see what it is every now and again. He's got the guage mounted where the little cubby is in front of the shifter handle, under the ashtray with another guage.

I have both a Tranny Temp and an Oil temp gauge. They're made from Auto Meter. They're lighted as well. I didn't see the Oil temp gauge on the website, but they do have it. I have a remote trans cooler, so It doesn't really get too warm. But, it is definiely cool.

I have the B&M unit. I just bought another Aw4 trans pan and plan on having a bung brazed to the pan itself so I get the real time temp of the fluid in the pan.

I don't tow at all, but I plan on putting in a aux cooler when I get the time/money and I wanted to avoid tapping into the lines so much.

The B&M is elec and the install is going to be pretty easy to do. I also ran a mech temp gauge to the Thermo housing sinse I already kinda trust the factory temp sender. It's nice to see once the system opens up that it really is running close to the factory gauge temp!

I've got a '00, with A-piller mounted trans and oil temp gauges. I got mine from VDO, and they match the stock gauges perfectly. I just used a metric sized (10mm) sending unit from VDO that fits in the drain plug hole of the transmission pan.

Back