• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has pieced there suspension together?

X Factor

NAXJA Forum User
what i mean is have you used 2 or more different companys to put together a complete suspension.
why i ask is, i plan on going w/a 2in BB for now and future upgrade to the 2" OME along with the BB. i think at 4in. i would have to address the CA's and track bar at some point or use drop down brackets. just wondered if anyone has had alot of success doing it this way. wish i could just do it all at one time but not in the cards right now.

X Factor said:
what i mean is have you used 2 or more different companys to put together a complete suspension.
why i ask is, i plan on going w/a 2in BB for now and future upgrade to the 2" OME along with the BB. i think at 4in. i would have to address the CA's and track bar at some point or use drop down brackets. just wondered if anyone has had alot of success doing it this way. wish i could just do it all at one time but not in the cards right now.

Yes, I have run OME and then added a 2" budget boost. OME is really 40mm...or about 1.5", and budget boosts are really 1.75", so let's call the whole thing a 3" lift. You don't need new control arms, although you'll want them at some point I think just from a durability standpoint. You do need an adjustable trackbar...but the big issue is shocks.

When you take a 2" suspension lift and add a budget boost, you have not gained any suspension travel, but you are probably planning larger tires. Your shocks simply get extended 2" by the budget boost, which limits down travel and increases up travel. The tires will stuff to the same point, however. Let me say it again: the tires will stuff to the same point, so those 31's you are probably planning are going to tear up your fenders pretty much as if you had tried to run them on the 2" OME.

So get longer shocks with the OME suspension if you really want to go that way...but I wouldn't. OME is an optimized suspension at a small amount of lift, and once you start messing with it you'd might as well get a 3.5" lift from RE and get way more for your money. You could get the 3" OME lift, but again you are spending a lot of money for that. The point of OME is to optimize the factory suspension, and it does that to perfection. I don't think, however, that OME has any advantage once you want new control arms and need an adjustable trackbar.

You can get Bilstein shocks, which are every bit as good as OME (and maybe better for a taller lift if they have more compression valving than the OME shocks), and run them with a complete RE suspension for less money. Just sell your budget boost for half what you paid for it to the next guy in line.

Nay

I pieced together a 3 inch OME system from RE and OME. I have the OME rear HD springs for 3 inches.. and OME 934 ZJ V8 coils up front for about 3 inches. I bought RE Superflex Arms and a RE Adj Trackbar. It rides great, but after all that I should have just went with the 3.5 RE. The only reason I can think of why I didnt is because the 3.5 RE really gives alot more, and I was scared about the vibes on my 2000.

Still though, now I think I should have went with RE and a H&T.

Nay said:
Yes, I have run OME and then added a 2" budget boost. OME is really 40mm...or about 1.5", and budget boosts are really 1.75", so let's call the whole thing a 3" lift. You don't need new control arms, although you'll want them at some point I think just from a durability standpoint. You do need an adjustable trackbar...but the big issue is shocks.

When you take a 2" suspension lift and add a budget boost, you have not gained any suspension travel, but you are probably planning larger tires. Your shocks simply get extended 2" by the budget boost, which limits down travel and increases up travel. The tires will stuff to the same point, however. Let me say it again: the tires will stuff to the same point, so those 31's you are probably planning are going to tear up your fenders pretty much as if you had tried to run them on the 2" OME.

So get longer shocks with the OME suspension if you really want to go that way...but I wouldn't. OME is an optimized suspension at a small amount of lift, and once you start messing with it you'd might as well get a 3.5" lift from RE and get way more for your money. You could get the 3" OME lift, but again you are spending a lot of money for that. The point of OME is to optimize the factory suspension, and it does that to perfection. I don't think, however, that OME has any advantage once you want new control arms and need an adjustable trackbar.

You can get Bilstein shocks, which are every bit as good as OME (and maybe better for a taller lift if they have more compression valving than the OME shocks), and run them with a complete RE suspension for less money. Just sell your budget boost for half what you paid for it to the next guy in line.

Nay

wouldn't bumpstops take care of the stuffing part?
i think i want to stay around 4in. i ultimately plan on using 31x12.5's, i want the extra clearance for the extra width of this tire. i was lookin at OME because it comes w/shocks and wanted to utilize the BB that would already be on it. most likely will run BB and take your advice and sell it when ready and use the 4.5in REsf. thanks for the advice and opinion.

My lift consists of, Skyjacker,Rancho,Rubicon Express,Rustys,BDS,Pocomp

i started off with an ebay special rough country for 100 bucks (worst 100 bucks ive ever spent)

now i have 4.5" RE leaves, kept the 3" RC coils, and added 1.75" RE spacers.

when i fab up the new axles im going to most likely replace the front coils or do a leaf swap (still undecided)

and i'll most likely incorporate a longer and higher leaf mounting plate, with shackles to bump it up a little more.

my only suggestion is stay away from RC, it was cheap.. and now i know why

Not making an attempt to highjack the thread.... butttt.....Ive used Old Man Emu lifts on Land Cruisers (FJ60) and have driven or riddin other series of Cruisers with OME. I have not been in any other rig using OME. On my 1988 XJ I would like to go with the OME HD lift and use RS9000's instead of the OME shocks. But I am unsure on how that would work with the XJ. Stock my rigs (TLC) weighed a lot more then my XJ does. But I can say that an FJ60 with a full HD OME suspension, ARB bullbar, winch, dual batteries, etc... cuts thru a rocky trail like a hot knife thru butter. You dont even think you are offroad at times. It truly does ride like a cadillac offroad. I would hope the XJ with the same setup would ride just as good. When it comes to this XJ its more of ride quality then how high in the air I am. After I finish college I intend on building another rig for trail use.

btw.. just got off the phone with Rocky Road and being I intend on running an arb bullbar up front and at some point maybe getting a winch..... he recommended going with the medium duty OME rear springs and then using YJ coils in the front..... still new to jeeps.... I know TLC's... still learning jeeps..... Anyone running this kind of setup?

Last edited:
Lots of people run "custom" suspensions. More do that than buy a complete kit in my neck of the woods.

I have OME JC1A's, JCXL's, 934's, OME LT shocks, 2" coil spacers, Rusty's greaseable shackles, JKS adj trackbar, JKS disco's, YJ brake-lines, Rusty's adj LCA's....with the steel bumpers/tire carrier & winch I'm at ~4" over stock.

I'm still working on getting the rear springs to flex like they did before the JCXL's, but they're coming along. Nice to not have the rear bumpstops slamming the rails once I load up the recovery gear and basic tools/equipment.

Nay said:

Nay

I have 3" OME coils, Frankenstein OME leafs, a daystar spacer, factory isolator, and RE shackle and sit at 4.5" or so.
I use 2" pucks in the front, and lowered the rear bumpstops 1".
I use Currie Jeepspeed LCAs, adj. trackbar, and steering.
I love my suspension, flat-out love it.
I have a couple of friends with RE 3.5" and 4.5" lifts and my ride is far superior.
Opinion is opinion, just like fact is fact.
YMMV.

Last edited:
I'm running RE 3.5" coils up front, custom built rear leaf packs (Burgess Spring Builders added 2 leafs and re-arched the rest) Skyjacker shackles, RE trackbar, home fabbed super flex adjustable UCAs & LCAs, and Rancho 9000s.
Everything works great and gets me through the mall parking lot with no problems. (If I disconnect I can even go over the parking blocks)

MountainGoat said:
Not making an attempt to highjack the thread.... butttt.....Ive used Old Man Emu lifts on Land Cruisers (FJ60) and have driven or riddin other series of Cruisers with OME. I have not been in any other rig using OME. On my 1988 XJ I would like to go with the OME HD lift and use RS9000's instead of the OME shocks. But I am unsure on how that would work with the XJ. Stock my rigs (TLC) weighed a lot more then my XJ does. But I can say that an FJ60 with a full HD OME suspension, ARB bullbar, winch, dual batteries, etc... cuts thru a rocky trail like a hot knife thru butter. You dont even think you are offroad at times. It truly does ride like a cadillac offroad. I would hope the XJ with the same setup would ride just as good. When it comes to this XJ its more of ride quality then how high in the air I am. After I finish college I intend on building another rig for trail use.

btw.. just got off the phone with Rocky Road and being I intend on running an arb bullbar up front and at some point maybe getting a winch..... he recommended going with the medium duty OME rear springs and then using YJ coils in the front..... still new to jeeps.... I know TLC's... still learning jeeps..... Anyone running this kind of setup?

There is no way I would run RS9000's over the OME shocks. Either OME or Bilstein are so much better than RS9000's (both are monotube gas charged shocks, I believe). In my experience, having run OME, RS9000s, and Bilsteins, lifted XJ's due far better with shocks that favor compression valving, which the RS9000's do not. I loved my OME shocks, and the Bilsteins are head and shoulders above RS9000's for a taller lift.

The medium duty springs should work well...and I am assuming the YJ fronts have a stiffer spring rate. The ARB bull bar is a heavy piece along with a winch...I think you'll want more spring rate for that setup.

Having said all of this, if it is more about ride quality, get the basic 2" OME kit with the "comfort" series shocks. That setup is so good you can hardly believe an aftermarket company out-designed Jeep's own engineers so drastically. I always wonder why anybody who only needs a 2" lift also needs a winch and bull bar...that's gonna kill your front clearance and add 200 lbs of weight.

Nay

i actually have never owned a winch in all the time i have been wheeling... there have been some times i wish i had owned one.... more then likely i will not buy one for this rig either.... i cant afford to break anything while im in school...

as for the two inch..... i have been doing nothing but toyota land cruiser FJ55's and 60 series... which sit higher then the XJ's do... I ran 33's with stock suspension.... so a 3" lift on one of those rigs is something. also being a 4 leaf spring suspension... rides differently and comes in a different leafs between med and hd ome. we would just pull a leave from the hd packs and its now a med duty... when the time came for heavier we just put the leaf back into the packs. i guess the xj's arent set up this way... i was told the hd and med use the same number of leafs... and i could buy the meds and later an ome add-a-leaf designed for the ome leafspring packs if i needed to go hd in the rear.... but they are like 100 bucks a pair..

I'll give this a try: :compwork:

FRONT
Superlift 3" coils
RE fixed Super Ride UCA's/LCA's
Trailmaster drop brackets
RE trackbar and frame bracket
OME spacers
ProComp 3000 shocks
Teraflex disco's

REAR
Teraflex 1.5" shackles
Custom XJ leaf springs with 2 added leaves, one a full length XJ main leaf
RE spring perches
Custom bump stops
ProComp 3000 shocks

I've got about 4" of total lift and run 32's with no trouble. The rig flexes and wheels very well and runs quite nicely on the road. 6 different manufacturers can't be wrong. ;)

MountainGoat said:
i actually have never owned a winch in all the time i have been wheeling... there have been some times i wish i had owned one.... more then likely i will not buy one for this rig either.... i cant afford to break anything while im in school...

as for the two inch..... i have been doing nothing but toyota land cruiser FJ55's and 60 series... which sit higher then the XJ's do... I ran 33's with stock suspension.... so a 3" lift on one of those rigs is something. also being a 4 leaf spring suspension... rides differently and comes in a different leafs between med and hd ome. we would just pull a leave from the hd packs and its now a med duty... when the time came for heavier we just put the leaf back into the packs. i guess the xj's arent set up this way... i was told the hd and med use the same number of leafs... and i could buy the meds and later an ome add-a-leaf designed for the ome leafspring packs if i needed to go hd in the rear.... but they are like 100 bucks a pair..

The HD leafs have an overload leaf. You aren't going to get any flex with that setup. You'd be amazed at what you can do with an XJ on 30" tires with OME. If you really need bigger tires, just forget about OME. IMO, it is severely overpriced for a 3"+ lift. Great choice for a small lift and major suspension upgrade, but way too much money otherwise. These days plenty of people sell excellent springs, and there is no reason to overspend.

I also see no reason to believe that OME somehow has managed to do at 4" of lift what they did at 2", while everybody else has failed to deliver a quality suspension. The reason OME lifts are so low is that they always stay within factory geometry. On an XJ, that means no affect to the stock steering linkage and trackbar. It means no affect on the control arm angles. It means that OME sells a factory design optimized suspension. When you go higher, OME is pretty much just selling you springs and shocks, and you still need to be looking at control arms, trackbar, and eventually steering.

Companies like RE sell excellent complete suspension kits for the price of OME springs and shocks once you want a 3"-4" lift. I simply can't imagine spending that much money and not getting the adjustable control arms and trackbar you need for length, flex, and durability.

Nay

I have the OME stuff, and will swap out the RE shackles to RRO ones this weekend and add another factory isolator to make about 4.5", settled.
I have Currie LCAs, and the uppers are fine up to 5".
It cost me a load of money, but I started with a 2" OME and another Jeep as a trail rig, until the road I was on disappeared.
I have added to it, and am setting up for 5" leafs and coils next year, all custom made by Deaver.
Down with the elitist and closed minded Jeeper.
Its my Jeep, I do as I choose.
:D

Back