• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 XJ Fuel Pressure Troubles & Engine Noise

keleka

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, and gals.

I'm new here, but it seems like I found the right place for XJ knowledge.

Anyone ever have a problem with the fuel pump module or pressure relief valve/fuel filter on the new style sending units? I remember changing the fuel filter in my '95, bit it appears to be in the tank on this one. It losses pressure after shutting it off, and causes a hard start everytime. I was stunned to find oout they want $340 from the dealer for a new sending unit. Ouch!!

Also, whenever I turn the A/C or defrost on my belt or something makes this loud squeal/screech noise. Idler or compressor maybe? Anyone else see these problems before? Any help is appreciated.

asmfor the fuel pump. chrysler may offer a reman for that model, i would check with the dealer to be sure, either way if you replace it you must remove the gas and thoroughly clean the inside of the tank to get out all of the debris inside. it would help if you could provide s reciept for having the tank steam cleaned. if the replacement pump was to fail, chrysler will not warranty it if this hasnt been done. there are many times when the sediment in the tank causes the failure. so by proving it has been cleaned this would avoid any return problems if necessary.

it also sounds like the belt is loose, it may be time for replacement anyway

On your fuel pressure, I was haveing some simular problems, I have the same year, but call jeep with your vin and your milage 1-800-853-1403
M-F 8:00AM - 8:00PM (EST) and ask them to check your vin to make sure that the recall on your fuel sending unit has been done, cause if it hasn't then you can get it done for free. And I wish that I new this when I first started but, I got the info from someone else here.
mitch

On that fuel module, according to the gal I talked to @ jeep she said it was also the sending unit which is all packaged in the tank module acording to the blow apart diagram I have, and or the jeep service department, did me a favor and replaced the whole fuel module, I have seen the ticket aswell as the old sender, but maybe I am wronge, They just replaced mine last monday. go figure, its worth a shot,

jneary said:
the recall was only for the 98. it was to replace the float only not the pump.

My '97 was recalled, and they replaced the entire sending unit. It was due to inaccurate readings resulting in vehicles runnning out of fuel.

Lawn Cher' said:
My '97 was recalled, and they replaced the entire sending unit. It was due to inaccurate readings resulting in vehicles runnning out of fuel.
you may have had a warranty claim, but on recalls, if the manufacturer had to replace every $300+ fuel pump for a $20 sending unit problem, they would go broke. i repeat the recall was for 98's for the float. i have done plenty of them i should know.

Back