• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need lug nut source

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I am looking to replace all the lug nuts on my 2000 XJ. The stock ones are the aluminum covered ones. I have had 3 now that rusted under the aluminum and would not alow the lug wrench to take them off. I needed to peel the aluminum off and remove them with an 18mm 6pt socket. Now the lug wrench does not fit.

My '87 and '90 XJs have chrome plated solid steel crown type nuts. I am hoping I can find some like this. I tried 2 dealers and both told me the origianl nuts were replaced with what is on the 2000.

I struck out at AZ, unless I want locks. Advantage wanted to sell me the aluminum covered ones in reverse thread! NAPA has some that look very good, but the beveled shoulder is not as wide as the stock nut. All Quadratec has is the aluminum covered things.

Since all my XJs have alloy wheels, I do not want to use a nut that is too narrow and could possibly pull through the wheel.

The thread is 1/2" X 20.

Has anyone found a suitable replacement?

Thanks,
MoFo

I got some 1/2"-20 from AZ couple months ago. They don't have them on display, had to ask the guy at the desk. I wanted deeper lugs as compared to the OEM ones so I had the guy go back and find something with the same thread.
-Joe

I don't suppose you still have the reciept or package or can otherwise give me a part number?

Did you compare the width of the shoulder to your old ones?
Do you have alloy wheels?
Thanks

My Autozone also has them. They are now in a bin in the back, not in a blister pack, so ask to look at their stock in the back.

I know you already went to NAPA, but did they look in the "book"?
I used to work at NAPA and they have tons of parts, that fit anything, but you have to find the right guy at the counter. They have a picture book for lug nuts and it has all of the dimensions. Just a thought....

You need the ones with the wide tapered seat or the standard taper ?
Advance auto has the standard taper nuts in the Rally brand #2B,1/2x20 tapered seat a 4 pack was around $5 ,last I bought
Wayne

The factory lug nuts on both the '87 and the '90 were the same as the factory lug nuts used in 2000. I have XJs from all those years so I speak from first-hand knowledge. The shiny "wrapper" is not aluminum, it's stainless steel. The factory lug nuts on XJs were never solid, chrome-plated units.

Pep Boys carries exact replacements for the stock ones, for a lot less money than dealer price. All the chains carry solid steel, chrome-plated lug nuts. I live in New England, and the life expectancy of the chrome plating around here is about two winters, at best. I prefer the original factory style, but the problem of the SS cover coming off is valid. My solution is to never allow anyone else to remove or install my wheels, and to never use an air impact gun on the lug nuts. That beats up the SS shell very quickly.

I still have my '88 XJ that I bought new, and out of the original 20 SS capped lug nuts, I'd estimate that between 14 and 16 are still the originals.

Along the lines of what Eagle said; don't use the air impact on the lug nuts anyway because warping the rotor is a real possibility if they aren't torqued right.

Places like Pep Boys often have the blister pack of 20 lugnuts (or 16 w/4 locks) but they charge an arm and leg for them. Find one of the places with loose nuts behind the counter and buy in bulk. Take one of yours in if you're at all unsure of the size/style.

Yucca-Man said:
Along the lines of what Eagle said; don't use the air impact on the lug nuts anyway because warping the rotor is a real possibility if they aren't torqued right.
True. That's the other reason I never allow shops to touch my wheels. I have enough extras that I can always stick a set of skins under a Jeep while I take the wheels that belong on it to a shop for mounting, balancing, or new tires. I bought a couple of the inexpensive torque wrenches (the $19 specials) and I carry one of those with a Sears flip socket (3/4" on one side, 13/16" on the other) in each of the Jeeps I drive regularly. That way even if I have a flat away from home I can torque the lug nuts right to help avoid warping the rotors.

Thanks everyone for the information.

I have 4 XJs, a 2000, a 1990 and two 1987s. The 3 older ones all have chromed steel lugnuts. That is why I assumed they were stock in those years.

Eagle said:
True. That's the other reason I never allow shops to touch my wheels.

It must be nice! The State requires someone else to touch two of my wheels (diagonally-opposite... different pair each time) at least once a year for inspection! And, FWIW, ALL of my lug-nut problems have been on the first removal AFTER the inspection! (Friends have a policy of always loosening/retourquing after inspection visits... but I *never* think about it!)

Den

DenLip said:
It must be nice! The State requires someone else to touch two of my wheels (diagonally-opposite... different pair each time) at least once a year for inspection! And, FWIW, ALL of my lug-nut problems have been on the first removal AFTER the inspection! (Friends have a policy of always loosening/retourquing after inspection visits... but I *never* think about it!)

Den
I got the acorn lug nuts @ America's Tire during one of the rotations and they cost me about $25 or so I think for the set.

Back