• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case seal options

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
for an 89 4.0 4wd (231 tc I think): the transfer case rear seal looks a bit odd. I can see the usual metal ring, but the rubber part has a bit of a 'tail' on it, gripping the output shaft. Looks like a seal on steroids ;-)

Anyway, this tail part, that looks like it should be gripping the shaft, barely makes contact. As a result, I'm marking my territory wherever I stop...

Question: can this be replaced easily on the car with a standard seal puller/hook? or does the extension housing have to come off? I assume there are no parts that fall about inside when the shaft is pulled out....

Question 2: Autozone online shows a regular seal for 3.99 and another seal called a 'kwik sleeve' for 24.99. What would be the recommended one? Both are made by Timken, but their site catalog doesn't have pics on it.

Thanks.

The seal you describe has what is called a dust shield/boot on it. They work well at trying to keep the main seal somewhat clean. Either seal will work. Just make sure your slip yoke is nice and clean. It wouldn't hurt to take a piece of 400 grit wet or dry and freshen up the surface a bit. Remember sand in the same axis as the rotation. In other words wrap the sand paper around the surface then turn the yoke while holding the sand paper.

Back