• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeak Squeak I'm a Jeep

Brian Carpenter

NAXJA Forum User
OK, So I am now officially the squeaky jeep on the trail (much to my dismay) You can hear me bumping down the road a hundred yards away. I am running a 4.5" Rustys lift with drop shackles and coil spacers. the new shackles seem to be 1/2 the problem.. but no zerk fittings... the weak link stock upper control arms are the other1/2 (I think) no grease fitings there either.. Anyone have any bright ideas to sneak my jeep into camp at night unnoticed?

Grease everything that squeaks. Dry poly squeaks, unlike rubber. If your new shackles have poly bushings, that could be part of it. When i say grease, I don't mean using a zerk, I mean pull the link and grease everywhere there are moving parts.

Check your rear springs. I had a problem with the front bushing of Rusty's rear spring shifting out of place. This allowed the spring itself to rub on the hanger causing major squeaking. I had to spot weld the bushing in place to fix the problem.

Are you saying that you have 4.5'' of lift and stock upper control arms :confused: If so that's your problem. Invest in a good pair of upper and lower control arms that have zerk fittings. See if your front bump stop is hitting the coil spring and if your leaf springs are hitting your exhaust. Thats whats happening to me right now and I'm just to lazy to fix it.

Yes, Stock uppers.. I lack the cash right now to upgrade.. And OEM replacements are cheap.

Bob your exhaust just in front of the shackle.. no ill effects, but you won't make contact with the springs, or run it into anything hard enough to bend it the wrong direction.

Back