• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any tricks to replacing idler pulley?

WILDHORSE

NAXJA Forum User
On the way home tonight my Jeep produced this horrible sound like a bearing of some sort going out under the hood. I got home and let it idle whil I looked under there. Idler pulley moving back and forth 3/16ths to a 1/4 of an inch. It is obvious that his is where the noise is coming from. Any tips before I wrench on it this weekend. Never done one on an XJ but I know some other cars Ive done them on you have to replace the whole front assembly bracket:mad: Any hints would be appreciated. Rock onNAXJA
WILDHORSE

No. It's relatively easier. But, before you go replacing the pulley, have you checked that it's not just the bolt that has come loose? If you are getting that much lateral movement, without any wobble, it may just be a loose bolt.

If not, you will need to release the tension on the belt. Replace the pulley, and retension the belt. This is done by way of the power steering pump bracket. The are 4 release bolts/nuts on either side of the PS pump bracket. There is then another bolt that is used to adjust the belt tension.

Do a search for drive belt replacement, or belt tension adjustment. It should be in the OEM archives(there were many threads before the new fancy format) . Although, personally I've had some problems searching the archives. Maybe someone can enlighten me on how to search the archives.

:arrowr: :arrowr: :arrowr: :arrowr:Here's one -- click me !

Last edited:
It's a pretty easy job. Mine decided to go out while I was 80 miles from home dressed up in a suit on a 98 degree day. Fortunately I keep a small toolkit in the hatch and found someone to take me to the parts store.

In my opinion if you take out the airbox it is much easier to reach in for loosening/tightening the belt (I have a cone filter so it's not too much to take it off).

Loosen the four bolts on the steering pump bracket (two in front, two in back), loosen the tensioner bolt and slide the pump to put slack in the belt. Pull and replace the pulley and put it all back together.

The only mistake I made was I tightened the belt too much which popped the idler pulley off its housing but all I had to do was pop it back together and not tighten the belt as much.

You don't mention the year of your XJ. The later models were adjusted as follows. Loosen the bolt in the center of the pulley. It is used as a set screw on the actual adjustment bolt behind the pulley. Adjust that bolt behind the pulley and retighten the pulley center bolt. Not too tight as you don't want to crush the threads on that tension bolt.

Back