• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is durabak the way to go?

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I pulled back the rubber floor in my xj this weekend to find a foul swamp. I just got the jeep and knew it had a water leak, but not this bad. I am thinking of just bedlining the interior, but i know how load it can be with out the insulation. Will Durabak provide some noise reduction? has anyone done this with good results?

I've done it with Herculiner backed by Dynamat. I took it straight from really nasty, swamp water soaked carpet to where it sits right now, so I can't say for certain that the Dynamat cuts down on noise, but I'm pretty sure that it does. I've been in a couple of trucks that didn't have anything on the floor and they were much louder. Dynamat is kinda' pricey though.

Robert

I pulled my carpet and once my cage is done I'll be durabaking it. I have put down Dynamat Extreme through most of the cargo area and behind the front seats (I'll do the front area, too, at some point). It significantly cut down on road noise. You do hear rain in the wheel wells a lot more (not that it rains in Colorado with any regularity), but between the Dynamat and Durabak it won't be noticeably louder than it was before.

I highly recommend Dynamat if you care about noise. You can buy the big kit (forget the name) for about $90 plus shipping on Ebay, which is a great price. I can't believe I waited this long to get rid of the carpet...I kept it clean, but with wheeling it's gonna stink.

Nay

Ludakris said:
I thought dynamat went under the carpet? am i lost?
how does the dynamat hold up, doesnt it stick to the floor in squares or am i thinking of the wrong stuff entirely?

Yep - dynamat on the metal (you cut it to whatever shape you need), and then durabak over the dynamat. Dynamat extreme has an aluminum top layer, and I've been hauling 750 lb loads from Home Depot on top of it (with a tarp of course). No durability issues. I think it will be a lot easier to prep the Dynamat for Durabak than it would have been to prep the sheet metal.

Nay

I did the Hurcilener on my floor after I retreated the rusty areas and seam sealed everything. I went with 1/2" carpet padding, the cheapest I could get was like a 10 foot by 5 foot roll for $12.00. I cut and glued it down under the cargo and floor/hump areas. Really quites it down. My first time around I didn't seam seal the pass. side kick panal and had a water leak. After running water on the pass side I was able to find the leak, which was behind the front fender at a seam. Seam sealed it and have never had a water leak again. www.eastwood.com
They sell seam sealer, and rust proof products. Juice

I cleaned and primed the aluminum backing on the Dynamat before I put down the Herculiner. I started to clean it with acetone after priming, but with a little wiping I found that I was starting to remove the primer, so I just left it as it lay with uncleaned primer. It's been in there about a year now without any problems at all. The only thing that I have noticed is that I get little dent marks in my floor if I drop something in there too hard, but it's so minor that you really have to look for it to find it. Besides, this isn't a show Jeep!

Robert

Back