• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chains VS Tyres VS Problems

KiwiXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, In N.Z. there are times when you are not allowed to drive up to the ski fields without chains fitted. I'm looking for tyres and know that 30" * 9.5" are max size on stock wheels (I read the threads). Has anyone fitted chains at that size and any issues? Same question at 235*75 R15. What kind of tyre would be helpful as well, Mud vs AT vs Street (not that I want street). Thanks

Hi KiwiXJ

As for me, living in Switzerland, we have Summer right now, but I like to think about winther any time...

I've heard of Problems having chains on front tires on full steering. Have an eye on this at the lower control arms and maybe fit a washer under the limiting bolt at the steering left and right.

I would run four chains, cause that gives you ample traction and you can take a pair on trails for additional traction in "summer". Right now I will start with one pair next winther in the 30-9.5 size. I'll see what that helps on the front axle. Knowing, that DC doesn't like to have chains fitted on the front axle, I'll have them on there for traction and braking support.
The chains should fit both tire sizes.

The size of the 30-9.5 is slightly bigger than the 235/75. I run a set of BFG AT 30-9.5 during summer, but will fit a "real" winther tire in the 235/75 size. This with the idea of having the right rubber compound for cold temps and the fine factory sipes allready. Bought my Jeep last winther with worn M+S tires. Amazingly they did a good job. But real winther tires are best!

As I've seen the year of your XJ is a 95 , you probably wan't have a full time High 4x4. I like to have this option on my '97. Always have my hand on the shifter to push it into N while driving on snow. Without doing this, the rear will push you further, because the breaking-power on the rear axle is limited. I made some "unnice" experiences on slippery ground, but snow often had been soft to the body:)

Hope that helps you in finding a good setup for your winther tours?!

Greetings from cheese and chocolate Country
Simon

It would take pretty hairy conditions to require 4 chains on a 4WD vehicle. I'd try it first just with rears. Avoid the temptation to use chains on the front alone, which I have heard can get you into real trouble on slippery descents.

Also keep in mind that with 30's and stock suspension the rear tire will rub on the fender liner, the key word beind 'rub' the rear tire with chains will 'rip' not 'rub'... Might want to also look at cable types. I've never used them myself, always used chains on my 2 wheel drives as needed, but the few people I know that have seem to like them.
That issue also seems to crop up every so often with our western us contingent who live around the rockies. Might be that if you are going to run chains you might want to drop down a tire size or two and keep them just for that -or- use the 'don't want to change tire size' for a good reason to get a lift :D

Kiwi --

Apparently you read some incorrect information, because 31x10.50/15 tires (or "tyres" in your neighborhood) will fit on stock rims. Perhaps you meant to write "... with no lift," but even that is incorrect. I have seen a couple of XJs on the street around here running 31x10.50s with no lift.

The basic rule of thumb is that 235/75R15 is the largest tire that will fit without rubbing. 30s rub slightly against the lower control arms when turning, and some people report that they rub slightly against the wheel well liners when the suspension is fully compressed. A 30 is only very slightly larger than a 235, which means there isn't a lot of clearance around a 235.

I think to use chains I would certainly not run larger than a 235, but if you have access to a set I would install them and the cycle the suspension through the full travel and observe how close they come to the body work. I think if I were planning to use chains I would not use a tire larger than 225/75R15.

Back