• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35s on D35 and d30?

Jeepin_rebel

NAXJA Forum User
Im wantin to run 35 on my rig but im still runnin the stock axles. I do have plans to regear....and carry some extra parts..lol I dont do any REALLY crazy stuff mostly mud. Was also thinking about some sort of locker. Now my daily drive to work is only 5 mlies. Do yall think i can get away with this?

RockControlXJ said:
That sounds like a bad idea. D35's are not strong enough for that task. Why spend all the money to gear and lock the D35 when you could do the 8.8 swap and have a stouter combo?
what does the 8.8 come in? Is it a direct swap?

8.8's came in many ford cars and trucks, but the one you would want is out of an explorer. They are within 1" of the D45 width, and if you find one out of a 95 or newer they came with disk brakes. They even have the same bolt pattern so you don't have to change your wheels. To install it with drum brakes all you have to do is torch off the spring perches and weld on new ones with the proper pinion angle. I even believe the stock shock mounts will work, but double check on that cause i'm not 100% sure.

RockControlXJ said:
8.8's came in many ford cars and trucks, but the one you would want is out of an explorer. They are within 1" of the D45 width, and if you find one out of a 95 or newer they came with disk brakes. They even have the same bolt pattern so you don't have to change your wheels. To install it with drum brakes all you have to do is torch off the spring perches and weld on new ones with the proper pinion angle. I even believe the stock shock mounts will work, but double check on that cause i'm not 100% sure.
hmm dosent sound to bad. I have acces to welders and stuff.....what years are the ideal years for the explorer and id imagian ranger?

dana 44 is a bolt up, and u wont have to relocate the spring perches and shock mounts. I would not spend a red nickel on a dana 35. u can find the 44 out of an 87 and some 88 and i think 89 xj's

Jeepin_rebel said:
Im wantin to run 35 on my rig but im still runnin the stock axles. I do have plans to regear....and carry some extra parts..lol I dont do any REALLY crazy stuff mostly mud. Was also thinking about some sort of locker. Now my daily drive to work is only 5 mlies. Do yall think i can get away with this?

Do a search. There's tons of discussion regarding the pros and cons of this. Make your own decision.

xjnation said:
ya know that there are thousands of yj's and tj's out there running 35s and d35 and d30

and if they're not breaking, they're not wheeling.

simple as that.

naxja wheels, and the responses ya get here reflect that.

yea, a d35 is a ticking tome bomb you dont wnt to be that guy that broke an axle on the trail w/35's because you gave the jeep a little gas to get over a rock.

moneypitxj said:
yea, a d35 is a ticking tome bomb you dont wnt to be that guy that broke an axle on the trail w/35's because you gave the jeep a little gas to get over a rock.
This is verry true.

Back