• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arms?

KGNickl

NAXJA Forum User
Will longer upper or upper and lower control arms on my cherokee push the axle forward more? Cause it seems w/ the bigger tires, the axle is rubbing toward the cab on turns just on the edge and not the front of the front fender. Just confused. I'm sure trimming will fix this but i'm wondering w/ 4.5" rear springs, 3" front springs w/ 1.5" spacers and 33x12.5x15 tires on 15x88's w/ 3.75" spacing if me buying new control arms that are adjustable or longer will push the front axle forward cause i could be insane but it seems the lift has made it closer to the body of the car. Correct me if i'm sounding stupid so i can just delete this post. If not what is the advantage of the control arms w/ more lift, thats just never anything i have had to think about till now cause i've never gone to 4.5" and never thought about more than that which i'm considering now. Thanks -Kyle

Yes, longer control arms push the axle forward. I had problems with my 35's rubbing the rear of the fender on the inside. I was running adjustable arms I made, so I moved both to about 1.5" longer and it helped a ton. When I made my longarms, I intentionally moved the front axle forward about 2 inches. It stuffs pretty good now.

2004_0709Image0017.JPG

This is a pix on the top of Black Bear with my bride of 29 years.

old_man said:
OK.. you neither look old nor like a man :D
That being said it's a very good question: the control arms allow you to control the movement of the axle as well as it's rotation. Now.... the trick is that when you spend the money do it right (not like me) and get adjustable uppers and adjustable lowers as with both being adjustable you get WAY more control over the axle. Also... the RE superflex ones are really nice :D

Kejtar, check the line under the pix.

That's OK, but let me warn you, you may call me old man, but if you ever call her old woman, I'm not responsible for the results, you better duck or run.

old_man said:
That's OK, but let me warn you, you may call me old man, but if you ever call her old woman, I'm not responsible for the results, you better duck or run.
come on.... everyone knows that the only old women exist in fables :D

Back